How to remove ^M at the end of each line?

I got a string from “text_area_tag”. Because the browser working on
windows while my rails server working on linux, there is ^M at the end
of each line. What I want to do is to remove this character and separate
the string to an array. How can I do this?

thanks.

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Zhao Yi
[email protected]wrote:

I got a string from “text_area_tag”. Because the browser working on
windows while my rails server working on linux, there is ^M at the end
of each line. What I want to do is to remove this character and separate
the string to an array. How can I do this?

thanks.

You can try using dos2unix or others methods located here:

http://aruljohn.com/info/ctrlm/

Good luck,

-Conrad

2009/7/10 Zhao Yi [email protected]:

I got a string from “text_area_tag”. Because the browser working on
windows while my rails server working on linux, there is ^M at the end
of each line. What I want to do is to remove this character and separate
the string to an array. How can I do this?

Can I just check that I understand correctly. You have a string with
embedded ^M characters and you wish to turn this into an array of
strings? If that is correct then I would suggest looking at
String#split.

Colin

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Colin L. [email protected]
wrote:

embedded ^M characters and you wish to turn this into an array of
strings? If that is correct then I would suggest looking at
String#split.

Colin, he wants to first remove the ^M from the string. Then he wants
to
split
the string.

-Conrad

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Conrad T.[email protected]
wrote:

Can I just check that I understand correctly. You have a string with
embedded ^M characters and you wish to turn this into an array of
strings? If that is correct then I would suggest looking at
String#split.

Colin, he wants to first remove the ^M from the string. Then he wants to
split
the string.
-Conrad

The ^M is a line feed shown in an editor such as vim because Linux
only needs a carriage return (\n)

You could do the following:
“one\r\ntwo\nthree\rfour”.split(/[\n\r]+/) which will split the string
into “lines” at every combinations of carriage return and/or line feed

Andrew T.
http://ramblingsonrails.com

http://MyMvelope.com - The SIMPLE way to manage your savings

Thanks. I think split is what I want.
Another thing is that how I can remove the ^M from a string. I found
that there is a method “replace” in string class. But it will replace
the whole string, right?

2009/7/16 Zhao Yi [email protected]:

Thanks. I think split is what I want.
Another thing is that how I can remove the ^M from a string. I found
that there is a method “replace” in string class. But it will replace
the whole string, right?

Have a look at the gsub method of String

Colin

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs