How to install plugin from *.tar.gz or *.zip?

Hi,
I have a question about Rails plugin distribution.

Is it possible to install plugin from .tar.gz. or .zip file?
For example:

ruby script/plugin install http://example.com/public/foobar.tar.gz

Is it possible?

Installation from Subversion or Git repository is not what I want

because I want to release my plugin.


makoto kuwata

makoto kuwata wrote:

Hi,
I have a question about Rails plugin distribution.

Is it possible to install plugin from .tar.gz. or .zip file?
For example:

ruby script/plugin install http://example.com/public/foobar.tar.gz

Is it possible?

Installation from Subversion or Git repository is not what I want

because I want to release my plugin.


makoto kuwata

I don’t quite understand what you mean by “release”.
But, I do really like the,
ruby script/plugin install git://github.com/matthewrudy/rudeq.git

otherwise, I looked at the code recently,
and it seemed to assume it was an svn url, unless it matches /git/
so, I don’t think there’s a tar.gz solution at the moment…

I imagine you could write one.

But I dont get the reason not to put it on github
(or somewhere equivalent)
unless you want to keep control of the source,
but you say you want to “release” it…

Matthew R. Jacobs [email protected] wrote:

I don’t quite understand what you mean by “release”.
But, I do really like the,
ruby script/plugin install git://github.com/matthewrudy/rudeq.git

Yes, I know it,
but repository is always opened and everyone must install my plugin
from current repository which is not always stable because it is
under development.

I want to specify stable version by release.


regards,
makoto kuwata

On 12 Jul 2008, at 13:38, makoto kuwata wrote:

but repository is always opened and everyone must install my plugin
from current repository which is not always stable because it is
under development.

Well you can always give people the url to the stable version.
that said script/plugin install doesn’t really do anything other than
copy the plugin into vendor/plugins and run install.rb if it exists. A
lot of plugins have no install .rb so ‘installing’ the plugin just
means unzipping it in the right place.

Fred

makoto kuwata wrote:

Matthew R. Jacobs [email protected] wrote:

I don’t quite understand what you mean by “release”.
But, I do really like the,
� ruby script/plugin install git://github.com/matthewrudy/rudeq.git

Yes, I know it,
but repository is always opened and everyone must install my plugin
from current repository which is not always stable because it is
under development.

I want to specify stable version by release.


regards,
makoto kuwata

looks like this is in trunk as of today

http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/257-add-branch-option-for-script-plugin-install-with-git#ticket-257-11

ruby script/plugin install --revision ‘tag 1.1.4’
git://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec.git

Frederick C. [email protected] wrote:

Well you can always give people the url to the stable version.
that said script/plugininstalldoesn’t really do anything other than
copy theplugininto vendor/plugins and runinstall.rb if it exists. A
lot of plugins have noinstall.rb so ‘installing’ thepluginjust
means unzipping it in the right place.

Fred

OK, I’ll prepare the url of stable version.
Thank you very much.


regards,
makoto kuwata

makoto kuwata wrote:

Frederick C. [email protected] wrote:

Well you can always give people the url to the stable version.
that said script/plugininstalldoesn’t really do anything other than �
copy theplugininto vendor/plugins and runinstall.rb if it exists. A �
lot of plugins have noinstall.rb so ‘installing’ thepluginjust �
means unzipping it in the right place.

Fred

OK, I’ll prepare the url of stable version.
Thank you very much.


regards,
makoto kuwata

think you’ll have to wait for Rails 2.2, though
:slight_smile:

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs