How to get SQLite3, Cygwin and Rails to work together

I struggled for a while to get sqlite3 to work together well with Ruby
and Ruby on Rails under Cygwin. I eventually figured it out, here is the
procedure to save others some time :

This procedure concerns the following software versions:

ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i386-cygwin]
sqlite version 3.3.8
sqlite3-ruby (1.1.0) (Ruby gem)
rails (1.1.6) (Ruby gem)

Install Cygwin and Rails as described on this page:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/RailsonWindowsCygwin

Then, download the sqlite3 sources from the SQLite download page
(SQLite Download Page). I compiled the 3.3.8 version from
the source tarball.

wget http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-3_3_8.zip

Extract the tarball and read the README for compilation instructions.
You will need to install GCC and Make using the Cygwin installer.

After compilation you will have sqlite3.exe. You will also need to build
the .dll. In the sqlite source directory type

make sqlite3.dll

The copy the .dll and the .exe to somewhere on your path, eg:

cp sqlite3.exe sqlite3.dll ~/bin

Now install the sqlite3-ruby gem (choosing the latest mswin32 version)

gem install sqlite3-ruby

You have to make a change to this file

c:/cygwin/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
sqlite3-ruby-1.1.0-mswin32/lib/sqlite3/driver/dl/

So that it reads

when /win32/, /i386-cygwin/
“sqlite3.dll”

And you should be able to specify sqlite3 as the database in your
database.yml, for example :

development:
adapter: sqlite3
database: db/residence_development.db

Any updates, corrections etc. please let me know, and I’ll add them to
http://chrislowis.co.uk/rails.html

Chris

Thank you, Chris! Excellent stuff. It would be super to have this on
the
wiki.

Best regards,
Bill

Thank you, Chris! Excellent stuff. It would be super to have this on
the wiki.

I’m happy to add it there. Shall I create a new page linked from the
Rails/Cygwin page ?

Chris

Bill W. wrote:

Thank you, Chris! Excellent stuff. It would be
super to have this on the wiki.

Done !

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/RailsOnWindowsCygwinWithSQLite3

I’ve linked to it from :

Chris L. wrote:

Bill W. wrote:

Thank you, Chris! Excellent stuff. It would be
super to have this on the wiki.

I’m happy to add it there. Shall I create a new page
linked from the Rails/Cygwin page ?

Not sure exactly where you’re talking about. I was thinking somewhere
in
the HowTo section.

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails

Maybe in the installation section.

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowtosInstallation

Wherever you decide, Google will find it :wink:

Best regards,
Bill