How to get index&summary of remote gem library

Is there a command or a file which can be downloaded which contains a
index&summary of the Remote GEM library?

A local file copy of the index&summary of the remote GEM library would
allow me to perform keyword searches of
the summary line when I am looking for a specific gem or source code.
The command “gem list -rd” never generates
any output or completes.

I am looking for a report with the following fields: gem_name,
gem_version, gem_summary

your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

John

Well you can simply do ‘gem server’. That will start a server on your
local
system on port 8808 by default, you can browse to this port and it will
show
you what you are looking for.

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 06:45, John [email protected] wrote:

gem_version, gem_summary

your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

John


Thanks & Regards,
Dhruva S. http://dhruvasagar.net

Sorry that wasn’t the correct answer. I replied to the wrong mail.

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:32, Dhruva S. [email protected]
wrote:

A local file copy of the index&summary of the remote GEM library would
John

Become an expert in Rails. Join our 3 day Rails workshop and learn Ruby,
Rails 3, Cucumber and Git.
http://www.railspundit.com


Thanks & Regards,
Dhruva S. http://dhruvasagar.net

On May 10, 2011, at 18:15 , John wrote:

Is there a command or a file which can be downloaded which contains a
index&summary of the Remote GEM library?

A local file copy of the index&summary of the remote GEM library would
allow me to perform keyword searches of
the summary line when I am looking for a specific gem or source code.
The command “gem list -rd” never generates
any output or completes.

Not strictly true… It’s just doing a lot.

2169 % gem list -rdV

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

GET http://rubygems.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
302 Found
GET http://production.s3.rubygems.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
200 OK
GET http://rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/--1.gemspec.rz
302 Found
GET http://production.cf.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/--1.gemspec.rz
200 OK
GET http://rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/10io-jekyll-0.10.0.gemspec.rz
302 Found
GET
http://production.cf.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/10io-jekyll-0.10.0.gemspec.rz
200 OK
GET http://rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/1234567890_-1.0.gemspec.rz
302 Found
GET
http://production.cf.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/1234567890_-1.0.gemspec.rz
200 OK
GET http://rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/12_hour_time-0.0.3.gemspec.rz
302 Found
GET
http://production.cf.rubygems.org/quick/Marshal.4.8/12_hour_time-0.0.3.gemspec.rz
200 OK

I am looking for a report with the following fields: gem_name,
gem_version, gem_summary

name and version are really easy. They’re available locally via that
first file latest_specs.4.8.gz. Summary unfortunately requires all those
other gemspecs to download. Back in the day we had an index that could
help you, but I don’t think it is being created anymore.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs