How to Edit a Gemfile

Hi all, new struggling coder here! I’m following through Michael Hartl’s rails tutorial and I am doing it on Windows 10. I also followed Scott Hanselman’s set up of running rails through Ubuntu and Linux on Windows Terminal.

I’m trying to push my rails files to a heroku page, and I am encountering a problem that Hartl says is common. He says the way to avoid it is to edit the Gemfile as such:

source ‘http://rubygems.org
gem ‘rails’, ‘3.0.1’
gem ‘sqlite3-ruby’, ‘1.2.5’, :group => :development

The problem is I am very new to coding and everything I have been using is through terminal which is the line by line commands with the $. I dug through the internet and found how to add specific gems, but I don’t understand what the :group => :development line is doing.

I think the most helpful thing would be if somebody could suggest a program I could download and use to write the gems and then I could call that gem using terminal, but I can’t find any program that can do that.

Okay I am going to answer my own question for any other newbies out there.

xdg-open will open your directory and from there you can find your gemfile and edit with a basic text editor. Might seem simple to most but hard to find this instruction anywhere.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs