How to capture the output of system("")?


#1

All,

When I can system("…") in ruby, I got either true or false returned,
but how do I capture the information that being printed out in console
when the cmd is being executed?

Thanks


#2

Yingqi T. wrote:

When I can system("…") in ruby, I got either true or false returned,
but how do I capture the information that being printed out in console
when the cmd is being executed?

By using backticks or %x{} instead of system.


#3

use `` instead of system("")

On 6/4/07, Yingqi T. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.


“Hey brother christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak
so loud, I can’t hear a word you’re saying.”

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)


#4

On Jun 4, 10:47 am, Sebastian H. removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

Yingqi T. wrote:

When I can system("…") in ruby, I got either true or false returned,
but how do I capture the information that being printed out in console
when the cmd is being executed?

By using backticks or %x{} instead of system.


Ist so, weil ist so
Bleibt so, weil war so

Another option besides backticks or %x{} is to use IO#popen. This is
useful if you want to read output in the same manner as you would with
a file.


#5

for example ls /etc

On 6/4/07, Glen H. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

speak so loud, I can’t hear a word you’re saying."

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)


“Hey brother christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak
so loud, I can’t hear a word you’re saying.”

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)