How to avoid (Net::SMTPFatalError) "555 5.5.2 Syntax error


#1

Hi all,
I have written code to send mails through action_mailer, where in I
called
MassNotifier.deliver_forward_review_link(current_user.profile.display_name,email,params[:notification][:message],params[:title],params[:designation],params[:company],params[:id],@invitation.invitation_code)

this method , and in mass_notifier.rb
I fave written

def
forward_review_link(sender,recipients,message,title,designation,company,id,code)

return if UnsubscribedEmail.find_by_email(recipients)
@unsubscribe_code = MailingList.find_or_create_by_email(recipients)
if @unsubscribe_code.code.nil?
@unsubscribe_code.code = Digest::SHA1.hexdigest(
Time.now.to_s.split(//).sort_by {rand}.join )
@unsubscribe_code.save
end
@body[:unsubscribe_link] = “click
here to unsubscribe</a>”

MassNotifier.delivery_method = :activerecord
@recipients  = "#{recipients}"
@from = "#{sender}<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>"
@subject = "Check out the Review on #{company}"
@body[:review_link] = "<a

href=‘http://www.somelink.com/company-review-rating/#{company.downcase.strip.squeeze("
").gsub(/[^[:alnum:]]/,’-’).squeeze("-").chomp("-")}/#{designation.strip.squeeze("
“).gsub(/[^[:alnum:]]/,’-’).squeeze(”-").chomp("-")}/#{id}’>clck
here</a>"
@body[:company_name] = “#{company}”
@body[:sender_name] = “#{sender}”
content_type “text/html”
end

If I submit an email id, It is giving error as
(Net::SMTPFatalError) “555 5.5.2 Syntax error. d29sm1994943and.38\n”
How to avoid this error

Please help me its urgent.


#2

Santosh T. wrote:

@from = "#{sender}<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>"

If I submit an email id, It is giving error as
(Net::SMTPFatalError) “555 5.5.2 Syntax error. d29sm1994943and.38\n”

The from line is the problem. The Net::SMTP library was recently changed
so it adds angle brackets to your sender, so you cannot have any in your
string. Try this as a workaround:

@from = "removed_email_address@domain.invalid"

#3

Hi Chris,

the workaround solved the problem, thank you!

Is there another way to display a name with the email address without
using angle brackets ?

Thanks!

On Jul 31, 2:26 pm, Chris S. removed_email_address@domain.invalid


#4

Francesco C. wrote:

Hi Chris,

the workaround solved the problem, thank you!

Is there another way to display a name with the email address without
using angle brackets ?

Thanks!

On Jul 31, 2:26�pm, Chris S. removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Display? Sure. Do anything you want.

But as of Rails 2.3.3, the from email address will get the angle
brackets added, so it can only contain the address.

Rails 2.3.4 is/was supposed to fix that, and includes tests so it will
be ensured in future versions.


#5

Thank you so much, I had the same problem and it worked.

On Jul 31, 2:26 pm, Chris S. removed_email_address@domain.invalid


#6

Hello all,

I am trying to send email and written code like this:

def matches_for_request( contact, req, matching_offers ) recipients "#{contact}" from "removed_email_address@domain.invalid" subject "Matches found for your request" sent_on Time.now
body[:offers] = matching_offers

end

I also had put angled brackets in the from address like
removed_email_address@domain.invalid”. However, as Chris’s reply suggets I tried
removing the angled brackets. But, this did not solve my problem. I am
continuing to get the following error message:

555 5.5.2 Syntax error. 23sm387874pxi.9

Please help.


#7

Any updates on how we can send a @from with a name before the email
address?

I want to be able to send emails using the removed_email_address@domain.invalid email
address but show ‘Monaqasat’ as the name of the sender.

Thx.

.Karim

Bruno Brunagh wrote:

Aslam S. wrote:

Hello all,

I am trying to send email and written code like this:

def matches_for_request( contact, req, matching_offers ) recipients "#{contact}" from "removed_email_address@domain.invalid" subject "Matches found for your request" sent_on Time.now
body[:offers] = matching_offers

end

I also had put angled brackets in the from address like
removed_email_address@domain.invalid”. However, as Chris’s reply suggets I tried
removing the angled brackets. But, this did not solve my problem. I am
continuing to get the following error message:

555 5.5.2 Syntax error. 23sm387874pxi.9

Please help.

Hi all,
I have the same issue:
Net::SMTPFatalError 555 using rails 2.3.3
under development environment

I both tried with or without angle brackets in the @from parameter,
but with no help.

Any idea?

Thanks


#8

Try to do like this:
from “Monaqasat removed_email_address@domain.invalid
headers “return-path” => ‘removed_email_address@domain.invalid’

It worked for me !!!

Thanks,
Nimesh N.

Karim Helal wrote:

Any updates on how we can send a @from with a name before the email
address?

I want to be able to send emails using the removed_email_address@domain.invalid email
address but show ‘Monaqasat’ as the name of the sender.

Thx.

.Karim

Bruno Brunagh wrote:

Aslam S. wrote:

Hello all,

I am trying to send email and written code like this:

def matches_for_request( contact, req, matching_offers ) recipients "#{contact}" from "removed_email_address@domain.invalid" subject "Matches found for your request" sent_on Time.now
body[:offers] = matching_offers

end

I also had put angled brackets in the from address like
removed_email_address@domain.invalid”. However, as Chris’s reply suggets I tried
removing the angled brackets. But, this did not solve my problem. I am
continuing to get the following error message:

555 5.5.2 Syntax error. 23sm387874pxi.9

Please help.

Hi all,
I have the same issue:
Net::SMTPFatalError 555 using rails 2.3.3
under development environment

I both tried with or without angle brackets in the @from parameter,
but with no help.

Any idea?

Thanks


#9

use action mailer optional tls

http://douglasfshearer.com/blog/gmail-smtp-with-ruby-on-rails-and-actionmailer

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Nimesh N. removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

Any updates on how we can send a @from with a name before the email

Aslam S. wrote:

To post to this group, send email to removed_email_address@domain.invalid.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
removed_email_address@domain.invalidremoved_email_address@domain.invalid
.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.


Thanks:
Rajeev sharma


#10

Aslam S. wrote:

Hello all,

I am trying to send email and written code like this:

def matches_for_request( contact, req, matching_offers ) recipients "#{contact}" from "removed_email_address@domain.invalid" subject "Matches found for your request" sent_on Time.now
body[:offers] = matching_offers

end

I also had put angled brackets in the from address like
removed_email_address@domain.invalid”. However, as Chris’s reply suggets I tried
removing the angled brackets. But, this did not solve my problem. I am
continuing to get the following error message:

555 5.5.2 Syntax error. 23sm387874pxi.9

Please help.

Hi all,
I have the same issue:
Net::SMTPFatalError 555 using rails 2.3.3
under development environment

I both tried with or without angle brackets in the @from parameter,
but with no help.

Any idea?

Thanks