How to allow the user to user their own domain name

HI All,

I am currently having feature where my users to have a subdomain for
their
account like xxx.myaddress.com,yyy.myaddress.com these will point to
the
corresponding users .

How can I implement the feature where user can enter their own domain
name
instead of sub domain?
regards,
Loganathan
Mob: +91 7760780741 | +91 9944414388
Skype: loganathan.sellappa
ViewMe http://vizualize.me/loganathan

On 6 December 2012 09:18, Loganathan S. [email protected]
wrote:

HI All,

I am currently having feature where my users to have a subdomain for their
account like xxx.myaddress.com,yyy.myaddress.com these will point to the
corresponding users .

How can I implement the feature where user can enter their own domain name
instead of sub domain?

Can you give an example of what you mean?

Colin

On 6 December 2012 10:12, Loganathan S. [email protected]
wrote:

Please have a look on to the www.shopify.com, where each user can create a
store with unique domain(subdomain) name like “www.logan.shopify.com”.

Currently I creating the same kind of application but I need an extra
feature where user can choose their own domain name while store registration
process like “www.logan.com” instead of “www.logan.shopify.com”. The thing
is user can point their store with their own domain(can be registered with
any providers like Godaddy,Dreamhost) instead of subdomain.

How to do that depends on your hosting setup. It can’t be done from
within the rails app (as far as I know).

Colin

On Dec 6, 2012, at 5:12 AM, Loganathan S. wrote:

Please have a look on to the www.shopify.com, where each user can create a store
with unique domain(subdomain) name like “www.logan.shopify.com”.

Currently I creating the same kind of application but I need an extra feature
where user can choose their own domain name while store registration process like
www.logan.com” instead of “www.logan.shopify.com”. The thing is user can point
their store with their own domain(can be registered with any providers like
Godaddy,Dreamhost) instead of subdomain.

Google the term ‘wildcard subdomain’. I haven’t tried to set this up
myself, but that’s what it’s called. You’d set that up at the DNS+Apache
layer, with all subdomains pointed at a single Rails application. There
are multi-tenancy examples in Rails that follow this structure, I
believe. There’s a recipe in Rails Composer for it, you might want to
check that out.

Walter

www.logan.shopify.comhttp://www.loganathan.shopify.com”.
The thing is user can point their store with their own domain(can
be registered with any providers like Godaddy,Dreamhost) instead of
subdomain.

regards,
Loganathan
Mob: +91 7760780741 | +91 9944414388
Skype: loganathan.sellappa
ViewMe http://vizualize.me/loganathan

Hi Loganathan,

On Thursday, December 6, 2012 4:12:22 AM UTC-6, Loganathan Sellappa
wrote:

Please have a look on to the www.shopify.com, where each user can create
a store with unique domain(subdomain) name like “www.logan.shopify.com”.

This is the stereotypical Rails approach to multi-tenancy. The database
contains, in the case of Shopify, the products of many stores (logan is
store). The key to multi-tenant apps is to ensure that all requests are
scoped to a specific store. In order to accomplish this in a Rails app
before_filter is used in application_controller.rb. It typically looks
like this.

def current_store
@current_store ||= Store.where(“subdomain = ?”,
request.subdomains.last)
end

The request to retrieve products (current_store.products) will retrieve
only those records that belong to the correct (per the url) store.

www.logan.shopify.com http://www.loganathan.shopify.com". The thing is
user can point their store with their own domain(can be registered with
any providers like Godaddy,Dreamhost) instead of subdomain.

I’m assuming that you mean you want the user to be able to choose to use
one or the other. You’ll probably get more readable code by adding a
domain field to the stores table and have it default to your app’s
domain.
The current_store method could end up looking something like…

def current_store
unless @current_store
if request.domain == ‘shopify.com
@current_store = Store.where(“subdomain = ?”,
request.subdomains.last)
else
@current_store = Store.where(“domain = ?”, request.domain)
@current_store
end

HTH,
Bill

You can use the concept of request.subdomain to identify xxx and yyy and
get
those details

In case of main domain names, ensure they have put a pointer to a
particular
subdomain which you can identify and execute it

For ex www.mydomain.com points to http://mydomain.youraddress.com

Thanks and Regards

Satish N Kota

Director, Heurion