How do you *nix users test for IE quirks?

I have recently switched over to a mac and am not sure how to test my
latest project on IE6/7. I can start up parallels and test the live
site, but that will be rather painful to make updates until everything
is just right.

Not to long ago I found something, ies4osx, but it didn’t seem to work
on my machine for loading sites through localhost.

Thanks for the advice.

On Dec 26, 2007, at 1:58 AM, Chris O. wrote:

I have recently switched over to a mac and am not sure how to test my
latest project on IE6/7. I can start up parallels and test the live
site, but that will be rather painful to make updates until everything
is just right.

Not to long ago I found something, ies4osx, but it didn’t seem to work
on my machine for loading sites through localhost.

From Parallels you see the IP of your mac in the local network.

On Dec 25, 2007, at 7:12 PM, Xavier N. wrote:

work
on my machine for loading sites through localhost.

From Parallels you see the IP of your mac in the local network.

Xavier is spot on here. You fire up Paralles and point your browser
to the host’s (the Mac) IP address on your internal network.
Remember to include the port number (typically 3000) that your
mongrel or webrick is running on. This is how I do it. I have one
parallels vm with IE 6, Safari 3, and FireFox, and another with IE 7,
Safari 3, and Firefox (so I can test Safari and/or FF in either VM).
I’m planning on adding Opera at some point. I’m also going to add a
VM or two for (K)Ubuntu so i can do quick tests on Konqueror and
Galeon (or whatever the Gnome browser is called). I know the market
share for some of these other browser’s is pretty small, but I’d like
to say that the sites I create work well in them. I support IE
because I have to. I support the others because I want to.

Peace,
Phillip

I didn’t think that parallels could do that, but that will work nicely.
To test ie6 and ie7 do you guys create 2 virtual windows systems?

Chris O. wrote:

I didn’t think that parallels could do that, but that will work nicely.
To test ie6 and ie7 do you guys create 2 virtual windows systems?

This is how I do it. I have one
parallels vm with IE 6, Safari 3, and FireFox, and another with IE 7,
Safari 3, and Firefox

oops I didn’t read read Phillips post well enough. :slight_smile:

Hi, I’m using VMWare Fusion to test IE, Firefox, and Safari under
Windows
Vista.
Good luck,

-Conrad

On Dec 25, 2007 6:53 PM, Chris O. [email protected]

On Dec 25, 2007 5:58 PM, Chris O. [email protected]
wrote:

I have recently switched over to a mac and am not sure how to test my
latest project on IE6/7.

I use VMWare Workstation on my Linux desktop and now VMWare
Fusion on my new MacBook Pro.

And with the new OS X virtual desktops (“Spaces”) it’s easy to just
park a Windows VM or two in a dedicated Space for testing.

FWIW,

Hassan S. ------------------------ [email protected]

What are the parallels settings that you guys use to access
localhost:3000? I finally got around to installing another virtual xp,
but am unable to get get anything when trying to open the page.

Thanks.

On Dec 29, 2007, at 3:07 PM, Chris O. wrote:

What are the parallels settings that you guys use to access
localhost:3000? I finally got around to installing another virtual
xp,
but am unable to get get anything when trying to open the page.

Thanks.

If I’m running Mongrel on localhost:3000 (on my Mac), from a
Parallels VM I’d access 192.168.7.246:3000. I just checked my two
VMs, and one is bridged and the other is shared, so that doesn’t seem
to make a difference.

Phillip

Parallels for mac, for Linux, there’s IEs4linux

On Dec 25, 4:58 pm, Chris O. [email protected]

Phillip K. wrote:

On Dec 29, 2007, at 3:07 PM, Chris O. wrote:

What are the parallels settings that you guys use to access
localhost:3000? I finally got around to installing another virtual
xp,
but am unable to get get anything when trying to open the page.

Thanks.

If I’m running Mongrel on localhost:3000 (on my Mac), from a
Parallels VM I’d access 192.168.7.246:3000. I just checked my two
VMs, and one is bridged and the other is shared, so that doesn’t seem
to make a difference.

Phillip

I should’ve thought of that. It works nicely now.

Thanks Phillip

Want a free way to test for IE quirks? Wait for people using IE to use
your
site and let them complain about all the quirks. Give them a phone
number
that they can contact “your support line” on, where it actually being
the
direct like to Microsoft Internet Explorer’s lead developer.

I guess you have to pay for the license for the copy of Windows you
run in the VM. That sucks. I hate MS so much.

I do this…
http://www.prestonlee.com/archives/112

…using two VMs. One for XP/IE6, the other XP/IE7.

Preston

No-one else seems to have mentioned it, but there is always Multiple IE:
http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

Lets you install multiple copies of IE in one copy of Windows, given
that
you might have to pay a license for each VM copy of windows you use
this
could be more cost-effective.

Cheers,

Muz

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs