How can I let rails working on non-block mode?


#1

When I run “ruby script/server” to start rails server, the current shell
will be blocked and all the output from rails will be written to the
current console. Does rails support a non-block mode and let the output
to be written to a specified log file?


#2

Zhao Yi wrote:

When I run “ruby script/server” to start rails server, the current shell
will be blocked and all the output from rails will be written to the
current console. Does rails support a non-block mode and let the output
to be written to a specified log file?

Use the -d option with the ruby script/server program. Then WEBrick
server will run as a daemon.


#3

Siddick E. wrote:

Zhao Yi wrote:

When I run “ruby script/server” to start rails server, the current shell
will be blocked and all the output from rails will be written to the
current console. Does rails support a non-block mode and let the output
to be written to a specified log file?

Use the -d option with the ruby script/server program. Then WEBrick
server will run as a daemon.

Yes it works, but how I can log its output?
thanks.


#4

The logs will be in the log/development.log file.


#5

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM, Zhao Yi
removed_email_address@domain.invalidwrote:

Siddick E. wrote:

The logs will be in the log/development.log file.

Can I specify a log file?

Hi, you should be able to configure the log_path by adding it to the
initializer block in your environment.rb. For example,

Rails::Initializer.run do |config|

Note: By default, the log_path is set to log/#{environment}.log

config.log_path = <some_absolute_file_path>

end

Good luck,

*-Conrad
*


#6

Siddick E. wrote:

The logs will be in the log/development.log file.

Can I specify a log file?


#7

Hi, you should be able to configure the log_path by adding it to the
initializer block in your environment.rb. For example,

Rails::Initializer.run do |config|

Note: By default, the log_path is set to log/#{environment}.log

config.log_path = <some_absolute_file_path>

end

This log is rails log. What I want is application log. For example, in
my controller, I use puts to print message to the console, I will to log
this output.


#8

If I use “-d” to start the rails server, how can I stop it?


#9

Siddick E. wrote:

Use the -d option with the ruby script/server program. Then WEBrick
server will run as a daemon.

How can i stop the rails server if using -d option?


#10

On Mar 31, 11:50 am, Zhao Yi removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Siddick E. wrote:

Use the -d option with the ruby script/server program. Then WEBrick
server will run as a daemon.

How can i stop the rails server if using -d option?

just kill it. grab the pid from ps (or the pidfile if there is one,
can’t remember if there is)

Fred


#11

On Mar 31, 4:02 am, Zhao Yi removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

end

This log is rails log. What I want is application log. For example, in
my controller, I use puts to print message to the console, I will to log
this output.

Don’t use puts, use Rails.logger.info (or whatever log level you
want). Or you can create and pass around your own logger object but
why bother ?

Fred