Hosting recommendations for simple site

I am looking to deploy a simple portfolio site. This means it is not a
site that will get a lot of hits at least in comparison to a site that
offers some kind of service. This also means I am looking for something
that will not burn a hole in my pocket. I don’t need ssh and the
ability to deploy with capistrano or VLAD seeing as changes to the site
will be pretty minimal.

What I am looking for is something that is simple to deploy to and will
not cause me to lose to much hair during the deployment process.

Any recommendations or places to stay away from?

Are there any sites out there that allows users to rank hosting sites?

Thanks

On 10/1/07, Chris O. [email protected] wrote:

I am looking to deploy a simple portfolio site. This means it is not a
site that will get a lot of hits at least in comparison to a site that
offers some kind of service. This also means I am looking for something
that will not burn a hole in my pocket.

In the “cheap and cheerful” VPS genre, I would go to SliceHost. 256 Mb
slice for $20/month is big enough for Apache and one, maybe two,
Mongrels.

Alexey V.
CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]
RubyWorks [http://rubyworks.thoughtworks.com]

Alexey V. wrote:

On 10/1/07, Chris O. [email protected] wrote:

I am looking to deploy a simple portfolio site. This means it is not a
site that will get a lot of hits at least in comparison to a site that
offers some kind of service. This also means I am looking for something
that will not burn a hole in my pocket.

In the “cheap and cheerful” VPS genre, I would go to SliceHost. 256 Mb
slice for $20/month is big enough for Apache and one, maybe two,
Mongrels.

Alexey V.
CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]
RubyWorks [http://rubyworks.thoughtworks.com]

Since they site will not have a lot of traffic I don’t think I will need
two mongrels running. I was also looking for something much cheaper
than that, more around the $5 mark per month. Is this realistic?

On 10/1/07, Chris O. [email protected] wrote:

In the “cheap and cheerful” VPS genre, I would go to SliceHost. 256 Mb
slice for $20/month is big enough for Apache and one, maybe two,
Mongrels.

$5 mark per month. Is this realistic?
Ain’t know. Probably not. If you can make your site 100% static HTML,
then sure.

Alexey V.
CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.thoughtworks.com]
RubyWorks [http://rubyworks.thoughtworks.com]

I’d give http://www.hostingrails.com a try. Low price, great service
and
the performance seems to be decent. Mongrel hosting starts at $10 a
month
but you can get fastcgi hosting for a lot less. Like $5.50 a month or
something.

Raul