Help please: math or variable problem

Preface- I know there is an easier way , since I’ll be working into the
thousands.
Anyway, down below I’m taking a number between 10 and 49 and converting
to a
Roman Numeral. I’ve been experimenting with 46, which should return
XXXXVI
only it’s returning XXXXVIIIII

For some reason this line rnm = (rnm-vrnm) is not calculating or not
calculating correctly, though I am doing the raw numbers in IRB and that
works fine.

Also , as a side note, SCITE is highlight (in a brownish color) from the
in rnm = (num%x) to the rnm = (rnm-vrnm). Kind of weird, unsure what it
is.
by the way, a) I maybe asking too many questions for one day b) I know
there
is a simpler way to do this , but hopefully my brain will slowly adapt.

if num >= 10 && num <= 49

x = 10
v = 5
rn = (num/x)
rnm = (num%x)
vrnm = rnm/v

rn.times do
print “X”

end
    vrnm.times do
      print "V"

      end

rnm = (rnm-vrnm)
rnm.times do
print “I”

On 6/25/06, Dark A. [email protected] wrote:

Anyway, down below I’m taking a number between 10 and 49 and converting to a
Roman Numeral. I’ve been experimenting with 46, which should return XXXXVI
only it’s returning XXXXVIIIII

No. It should return XLVI [10 to 50, 5, 1].

X, XX, XXX, XL, L, LX, LXX, LXXX, XC etc…

Ah ha! Well back to the drawing board. :slight_smile:

Stuart

Take a lock at Ruby Q. #22 for a bunch of solutions to this problem.
Why solve something that’s already been done a hundred times? =)

http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz22.html

Regards
Ola B.
http://ola-bini.blogspot.com