Help in writing unit test cases

Hi,

I’ve been working on ROR just for 4 months. I am naive in writing test
cases. I heard that one has to start with unit tests. So, I am
confused to where and how to start with. Any materials available or
any guides which helps me with some examples also.

Thanks in advance
sumanth

Hello,

If you are using scaffolding to create your models and controllers
then you have the test files for each model and controller already
created within “test” directory.

Thie rails wiki is always a good starting point:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoUnitTest

Hank

Hi blasterpal,
First I should thank you for the quick response.

I am not using scaffolding to create controllers and models. So i dont
have
test files for them. But I used scaffolding just to try it. I am aware
of
how those test files are like.

But if I have to write a unit test case for a existing controller, how
should I start with. Should I proceed method by method. Can we be
specific
for a method to write a test case. Like, can we just analyze a function
in
the model, testing it for its inputs and outputs etc.

-sumanth.

sumanth wrote:

    created within "test" directory.

    > I've been working on ROR just for 4 months. I am naive in
    writing test
    > cases. I heard that one has to start with unit tests. So, I am
    > confused to where and how to start with. Any materials
    available or
    > any guides which helps me with some examples also.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > sumanth

My understanding is that the unit tests are really for testing of the
model and any methods in in. I understand that the controllers are
tested using the functional tests and combinations with the integration
tests. I have only gotten as far as the unit tests so far and I have
only written unit tests for cases where I have added methods to the
models.

My understanding could be wrong but it is what I understand.

Norm

Provided, there exists a method which gets the data from the table of
one
model. It takes some variables. While fetching the data, it interacts
with
other tables also. We have 2 to 3 different queries which are
interlinked.
Meaning by result from one query are used in the next. How one should
start
writing a test for it?
What aspects should be tested?
I am confused, dunno where to start?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
sumanth

Sumanth,

I wrote a series of blog posts that might help demystify unit testing
for you.

It starts here:
http://www.nullislove.com/2007/11/10/testing-in-rails-introduction/

HTH,