Help, Gruff is killing me

Hi all,

I hope somebody can help me out here, since the issue has been killing
me for the last three days. Here is the issue:

It seems that gruff kills rails/webrick whenever it’s used on win32. I
installed gruff per instructions and it seems to be working. The
sample controller generates a nice grpah with send_data and all. The
issue started once I try to use any other controller/template. Once a
gruff graph gets generated and sent to the browser any SUBSEQUENT
requests to other controllers fail with weird compile errors. For
instance:

Showing app/views/admin/show_management/list_shows.rhtml where line #5
raised:

compile error
./script/…/config/…/app/views/admin/show_management/list_shows.rhtml:5:
Invalid char `\001’ in expression
./script/…/config/…/app/views/admin/show_management/list_shows.rhtml:6:
parse error, unexpected $, expecting kEND
_erbout.concat "

Show ID\n"
^

Extracted source (around line #5):

2:
3:

4:
5:
6:
7:
8:

Trace of template inclusion:
/app/views/admin/show_management/list_shows.rhtml

RAILS_ROOT: ./script/…/config/…

#{RAILS_ROOT}/app/views/admin/show_management/list_shows.rhtml:6:in
compile_template' #{RAILS_ROOT}/app/controllers/admin/show_management_controller.rb:12:inindex’

A quick restart of webrick fixes the issue until I generate another
graph that is :frowning:

Thanks

Rafael

Show Name Show ID Location Action

Hi Rafeal,

One thing you might try is renaming mysql.so (do a search to find out
where
is it on your system) to see if it’s a driver issue. MySQL will pick
up
the native Ruby drivers if it can’t find the compiled version (which is
what
mysql.so is). There’s a known issue with the compiled version and
WEBrick
that’s currently under investigation. Changing drivers might not help,
but
it’s cheap to try :wink:

Best regards,
Bill

[...]

Rails mailing list
[email protected]

Show Name Show ID Location Action

Hello Rafael,

Showing app/views/admin/show_management/list_shows.rhtml where line #5 raised:

compile error
./script/…/config/…/app/views/admin/show_management/list_shows.rhtml:5:
Invalid char `\001’ in expression
./script/…/config/…/app/views/admin/show_management/list_shows.rhtml:6:
parse error, unexpected $, expecting kEND
_erbout.concat "

Show ID\n"

Try to check whether it’s a tabulation pb.
Suppress (or replace with spaces) any tabs in your list_shows.rhtml
file.

-- Jean-François.

On Apr 30, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Jean-François wrote:

issue started once I try to use any other controller/template. Once a
Invalid char `\001’ in expression

Yup that expecting kEND error on windows is a know issue. If you

have any tab chars in your view files they will cause this error.
Make sure to only use spaces and you will be fine.

-Ezra_______________________________________________
Rails mailing list
[email protected]

Is Gruff using RMagick and you use ruby 1.8.4 under windows ? If that is
the
case, then that is the reason for your problems …

yes, use minimagick (might require quite a lot of customization for
gruff).
If you do it, plese post it

yep, Ruby 1.8.4 + Rmagick installed from local gem
(RMagick-win32-1.9.2-mswin32.gem)

I did some digging since the email, and it looks like it’s Rmagick
issue. For instance in IRB require ‘rmagick’ errors out with:
undefined method assoc' for classMagick::ImageList’

and require_gem ‘rmagick’ complains about not being able to find the
gem.

Any known resolutions to this issue?

Rafael