Hello RoR

Hello all,

I am a Java programmer and I started today with Ruby and also RoR. I am
using the RadRails IDE (is that the best?) and I would like to know if
there is a auto-completation feature like in Eclipse for JAVA (ctrl +
space for classes and methods). Do I need to install anything else?

I am still learning the language’s sintax and I am loving it. It is so
intuitive and agile.

Thank you.

Leonardoalmeidabastos wrote:

I am a Java programmer and I started today with Ruby and also RoR. I am
using the RadRails IDE (is that the best?) and I would like to know if there
is a auto-completation feature like in Eclipse for JAVA (ctrl + space for
classes and methods). Do I need to install anything else?

Netbeans 6.0 has an auto completer, per other threads here.

I am still learning the language’s sintax and I am loving it. It is so
intuitive and agile.

Eclipses’s autocompleter for Java is so good it makes you wonder - if
the editor can do everything, then what is the there language for?

Much of that autocompleting was simply “filling out forms to request
permission to do something”. Ruby only needs like 10% of the source
lines of Java, so you will find yourself completing less and thinking
more.

To get a snapshot of what’s available, add this temporarily:

p myObject.public_methods.sort

The next problem with autocompletion is Java is static and Ruby is
dynamic. That means, in Java, you can determine the type of any object
without running the program. That’s what the autocompleter does. Ruby
saves lines by using a leaner system. You can’t tell the type of any
object before running the program. So an autocompleter would need to
either guess or run the program.

If I were inventing an autocompleter, I would attach it to the test
system. (You are using the unit tests, aren’t you?) Then at complete
time, I would fetch the type of each object from a log of the
execution of the tests.

Unit tests are part of the system that makes dynamic typing more
productive and robust than static typing.

Phlip
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand ← NOT a blog!!

unfortunately RadRails doensn’t support this feature. i’m missing it
too.
but it depends on RDT, not on RadRails. if the guys implement this
into RDT, it will be available soon in RadRails.
don’t know if it’s available with the next version. but i think not.
but radrails development moved to the great aptana guys.
so i thnk we can expect some new shiny features in the future.

another great upcoming rails IDE is netbeans. they support intelli
sense! but it’s still beta.
but looks very, very promising. so you should give this a try too.
here are some screencasts on whats going on:
http://blogs.sun.com/roumen/entry/two_demos_jruby_on_rails

another tool is ruby in steel. it’s an plug in for visual studio.
intelli sense on board too. only in the “pro” version afaik.
http://www.sapphiresteel.com/

don’t ask if it’s the best in here. :wink: only thing you’ll hear is the
mac with Textmate is the best.
it’s a kinf of religion. what platform you are using? windows? linux?
mac?

i’m using RadRails for my daily work on windows. i’m quite happy with
it.
one point that’s always find fault is the memory consumption. but who
cares. memory is cheap. :wink:

if you are using a pII with 128meg radrails isn’t the best choice for
you. :wink:
but if you’re a java developer, i think your box is strong enough.

HTH

On 9 Mrz., 16:28, “Leonardoalmeidabastos”

Ruby is really nice. I took me a while to get familiar with it. but
now i really like it.

i think 512mb is a bit less. my memory consumption reaches over day
peaks of
1,3 - 1,5 gig. but to be fair, RadRails “only” uses 120 - 140 mb on
average.

ruby console goes with rdebug up to 100 mb over the day.
firefox and IE do the largest amount of the rest.

i’m using XP too. no problems here.

so, buy memory and enjoy developing with rails. :slight_smile:

On 9 Mrz., 17:06, “Leonardoalmeidabastos”

Phlip wrote:

lines of Java, so you will find yourself completing less and thinking
object before running the program. So an autocompleter would need to

Talking about auto-complete for Ruby/ Rails, you should see this:

I’m not sure but it may be written by the guys behind Ruby in Steel
(Sapphire Steel).
Cheers
Mohit.

I’m not sure but it may be written by the guys behind Ruby in Steel
(Sapphire Steel).
Cheers
Mohit.

it is!

Thank you for the update.

I’m using Windows XP right now but I also have Debian Ubuntu Linux. I
dont
know which is the best for Ruby. I’ll try it on linux later :slight_smile: I have
512mb
of ram and I hope that it is enough (it is for Java).

I’ll spend a few days learning Ruby before I dive into Rails. I enjoy
the
fact that Ruby is 100% OO. \o/