Hangup in make process

I am trying to install gnuradio-3.0.3 on HP/Compaq nx6115 loaded with
OpenSuSE10.2 64 bit (CD) version.
after several unsuccessful attempts and amends, following GNU Radio
components are successfully configured:
gnuradio-core
gnuradio-examples
gr-audio-alsa
gr-audio-oss
gr-gsm-fr-vocoder
gr-radio-astronomy
gr-trellis
configure is failing for other components.
However, ‘make’ process is hanging at the line:
gnuraudio_swig_python.cc:3493 with warning:‘dereferencing type-punned
pointer will break strict-aliasing rules’
Though such warning is seen in earlier lines of log process did not
stop.
similar message and hang-up is seen
when I try to ‘make’ only gnuradio-core. In both cases disk activity
continues suggesting unending loop.
Is it possible to rectify?
Is it possible to run gr with only few components installed?
Can software be tested without hardware installed?
Is 512MB RAM adequate?

As I am new to the field I want gain experience & confidence, before
purchasing hardware.

resending following query as no reply is posted. any advice?

[...]

vsrk sarma
+91 98498 64184
+91 40 6545 8642

vsrk sarma wrote:

Is it possible to run gr with only few components installed?

Yes. Your list of configured components is ok. The remaining components
are optional and require additional libraries or tools to build.

Can software be tested without hardware installed?

Yes. Run ‘make check’ after the build as is described in the
installation instructions.

Is 512MB RAM adequate?

For 3.0.x, not really; we recommend 1 GB of memory. In release 3.1,
this will go down to 512 MB recommended.

Johnathan C.
Corgan Enterprises LLC
http://corganenterprises.com

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 03:10:06AM -0700, vsrk sarma wrote:

after several unsuccessful attempts and amends, following GNU Radio
gnuraudio_swig_python.cc:3493 with warning:‘dereferencing type-punned
pointer will break strict-aliasing rules’
Though such warning is seen in earlier lines of log process did not stop.
similar message and hang-up is seen
when I try to ‘make’ only gnuradio-core. In both cases disk activity
continues suggesting unending loop.
Is it possible to rectify?
Is it possible to run gr with only few components installed?
Can software be tested without hardware installed?
Is 512MB RAM adequate?

FYI, You didn’t get an answer the first time, since you asked the same
question that was asked about 1 hour earlier on the same day.

Answer: 512MB is not adequate. g++'s resident set size is about 750MB
when compiling some of our code. This leads to constant paging on
small memory systems. If you try building the svn trunk instead of
3.0.3 the footprint is smaller, but 512MB is still a bit on the small
side.

Around here, 1GB of RAM is about 50 USD :wink:

Eric

After upgrading to 1.5 GB make completed without errors.

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 08:17:00AM -0700, Johnathan C. wrote:

installation instructions.

Is 512MB RAM adequate?

For 3.0.x, not really; we recommend 1 GB of memory. In release 3.1,
this will go down to 512 MB recommended.

I’d still recommend 1GB for the build (g++'s resident set size is still
about 450MB when compiling the trunk)

512MB should be fine for running, depending on what else
you’re doing on the machine.

RAM : cheap :: PROGRAMMERS : expensive

Eric