Did anyone created a medium size database gui application using the
combinations mentioned? I am trying to decide what to use and would
like to hear about your experiences.
My current analysis:
GTK2: + mature
- good API(used it a bit for toy applications)
- no table widget
FXRuby + mature
- good API (used it a bit for toy applications)
- table control
Swing + mature
- never used it
JRuby + can distribute all application as .jar?
- jdbc (but I only used it for very basic stuff)
- access to java libraries
- will it be ever as fast as ruby 1.9/2.x ?
ruby (matz version):
- “the standard ruby”
- fast implementation
- sequel (I have used this in few basic web applications)
- harder (but not impossible) to distribute the app as one file
The database server will be postgresql, but the application has to also
work standalone/off-site (and synchronise the data with the main
server). For the standalone database, the choice is sqlite (sequel) or
hsql (jdbc) - or i just install postgresql also under windows as local
So far, the ruby/FXRuby/sequel looks the most promising.