GRC + USRP2 + WBFM: synchronization problem?

Hello,

I have created FM transmitter in GRC:
http://szelest.org/question/TX_RX.grc.png

Unfortunately demodulated audio has poor quality and annoying
distortions. I have spent a lot of time on it without positive effect.
Here is how demodulated audio sounds like:
http://szelest.org/question/recorded.wav

When I have created FM receiver in GRC (bottom part of the schematic),
demodulated audio sounds perfectly on my PC.
Any ideas?

I’m using gnuradio3.3.0 + USRP2(with interpolation changed from 4 to
2) + BasicTX + FT857D as hardware receiver.
GRC file: http://szelest.org/question/TX_RX.grc
input WAV: http://szelest.org/question/indiana.wav

Regards,
Marcin SQ9DJJ

HI,
I have installed GR on a Compaq 6715b laptop and everything seems to
work except
the GRC. When I try to run a simple test example I get the above error.

I have tried to search the internet for it, but I can not find any
reference to
it. Does anyone know what is missing?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Best regards,
Farhad

On 28/03/2011 4:23 PM, Farhad A. wrote:

Best regards,
Farhad

Is your PYTHONPATH configured correctly?

What platform are you running on?

Fedora? Ubuntu? Windows? Which version of the OS?

Did you install from GIT, or from a recent tarball?

Did you previously install from the distributions (ancient at this
point) pre-packaged Gnu Radio packages?

Did you follow the instructions in the Build Guide, here?

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio/BuildGuide

HI Marcus,
Sorry, I should have been more clear:

  • Ubuntu 10.10
  • Install from GIT
  • Clean installation and no older packages. New Ubuntu, latest update
    and then
    Gnu Radio installed

I then choose this alternative to install:

$ mkdir build $ cd build $ …/configure $ make $ sudo make install
My PYTHONPATH is not configured, I missed it! I have to correct that.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Best regards,
Farhad

Is your PYTHONPATH configured correctly?

What platform are you running on?

Fedora? Ubuntu? Windows? Which version of the OS?

Did you install from GIT, or from a recent tarball?

Did you previously install from the distributions (ancient at this
point)
pre-packaged Gnu Radio packages?

Did you follow the instructions in the Build Guide, here?

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio/BuildGuide

Wav file is recorded from FT857 receiver connected directly to
microphone input of PC. Thats why its 22050Hz.

When I connect USRP2 source to the GRC receiver (bottom part of
picture) I can receive FM broadcasting.
If I connect this GRC receiver to GRC transmitter, it works perfectly
too.

Problem is that USRP2 sink connected to transmitter generates poor
signal. I don’t think that problem is connected with sample rate. I’ve
got feeling that there is problem with synchronization between GRC and
USRP2 or USRP2 is shutting frequently.

Regards,
Marcin

2011/3/29 Tom R. [email protected]:

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Marcin Szelest
[email protected]wrote:

When I have created FM receiver in GRC (bottom part of the schematic),

You almost certainly have the sample rate set incorrectly somewhere. For
instance, when I play the file, it tells me it’s a 22050 Hz WAV file, so
something is probably set incorrectly.

Tom

Hello again,

I’ve fixed sampling rate for 19kHz subcarier, but problem still existed.

I found that throttle connected between WBFM and USRP2 makes situation
better.
Now I have better quality, but some disortions are still audible.

Regards,
Marcin

2011/3/30 Ed Criscuolo [email protected]:

Looks like you have your interpolator and your multiply blocks switched.

The way you have it, the L-R audio is interpolated up to a 200k
sample rate, and then multiplied with a 19khz subcarrier at
a 44.1k sample rate.

Do the multiply first, then interpolate the product.

Or alternately, simply change the 19 kHz sample rate to 200k.

On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 08:48 +0200, Marcin Szelest wrote:

Hello again,

I’ve fixed sampling rate for 19kHz subcarier, but problem still existed.

I found that throttle connected between WBFM and USRP2 makes situation better.
Now I have better quality, but some disortions are still audible.

This is a really good indication that your sample rates are off
somewhere. The throttle block should never be used when a hardware
interface is involved. Check your sample rate conversions.

–n