From: Gultchev SP Mr (PG/R - CCSR)
Sent: Wed 25/04/2007 14:58
To: [email protected]
Subject: gr-video-sdl not found by usrp_tv_rcv.py example

Hi ,
I am new to the list but as far as I have checked, an answer to my
question does not exist. I have installed everything fine (including
gr-video-sdl part) on Fedora 4 (and the fm examples work fine) .
I have run the test-video (as I have read from some comments) and is
o.k. However, when I run the usrp_tv_rcv.py, it comes with an error that
the gr-video-sdl is not installed.
Any suggestions what the problem may be?

Thanks!

Stoicho

Sent: Wed 25/04/2007 14:58
To: [email protected]

Hi ,
I am new to the list but as far as I have checked, an answer to my question does not exist. I have installed everything fine (including gr-video-sdl part) on Fedora 4 (and the fm examples work fine) .
I have run the test-video (as I have read from some comments) and is o.k. However, when I run the usrp_tv_rcv.py, it comes with an error that the gr-video-sdl is not installed.
Any suggestions what the problem may be?
This is strange.

Is this the error you get?
FYI: gr-video-sdl is not installed
realtime SDL video output window will not be available

And you don’t get this error when you run test_video-sdl.py
(I put the code of test_video-sdl.py at the end of this mail)

Both usrp_tv_rcv.py and test_video-sdl.py use exactly the same code to
check for the availability of video_sdl.

This is done in these lines:
try:
from gnuradio import video_sdl
except:
print “FYI: gr-video-sdl is not installed”
print “realtime SDL video output window will not be available”

So or both should output nothing, or both should work.

Can you check if video_sdl.py is actually installed and where it is
installed.
Mine is located at:
/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gnuradio/video_sdl.py

You can use the following to find all instances of video_sdl.py
locate video_sdl.py

or if locate isn’t installed/configured
cd /
find -name video_sdl.py

Greetings,
Martin

#!/usr/bin/env python

This file is part of GNU Radio

GNU Radio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify

the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)

any later version.

GNU Radio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the

along with GNU Radio; see the file COPYING. If not, write to

the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street,

Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

from gnuradio import gr, gr_unittest
try:
from gnuradio import video_sdl
except:
print “FYI: gr-video-sdl is not installed”
print “realtime SDL video output window will not be available”

class qa_video_sdl (gr_unittest.TestCase):

def setUp (self):
    self.fg = gr.flow_graph ()

def tearDown (self):
    self.fg = None

def test_000_nop (self):
    """Just see if we can import the module...
    They may not have video drivers, etc.  Don't try to run

anything"""
pass

if name == ‘main’:
gr_unittest.main ()

Dear Martin,
thanks for your reply. Yes, you are right they both pass the code you
suggested. However, there is one more place where this error message is
coded (line 160), this is where the following error message appears:

$./usrp_tv_rcv.py
Using RX d’board A: TV Rx Rev 3
SDL: Couldn’t create a YUV overlay:
Can’t use YUV data on non 16/24/32 bit surfaces
gr-video-sdl is not installed
realtime “sdl” video output window is not available

Do you know what is causing this issue?

Thanks!

Stoicho