Hi Kevin - Thanks for the feedback and related info; it’s nice to hear
from another GR on OSX user! I’ll push changes to the sink either today
or tomorrow for testing. - MLD
On Feb 26, 2014, at 12:33 AM, Kevin R. [email protected] wrote:
For the audio source, flowgraph start/stop/reconfiguring and specifying the
device name both work fine as far as I’ve tested them.
Good! I’m glad you were able to test these out. Just because they work
for me does not mean they work for everyone
- … or (fewer harmless errors, same effect)
sudo port -f deactivate installed and ‘gnuradio*’
Haha! Even as a MacPorts developer I cannot keep up with “port” CLI
usage. I love “sudo port -f deactivate installed and ‘gnuradio*’” –
that’s so concise yet robust. Thanks for the info; now, I have to play
with these to see what it can do!
- Mucking with MacPorts prefix files manually is a bad practice; why not just
install the gnuradio built in step 4? (Worked for me – ‘sudo port install -s
gnuradio’) Doing this also means you only need to build/install gnuradio-devel
once (rather than installing it before patching it).
I intentionally had the user install gnuradio-devel then create a
patched version in case things got messed up, for 2 reasons [I should
have written these into the original email.]:
a) If things get messed up either building or after copying
libgnuradio-audio, you can clean it up by doing
sudo port -f deactivate gnuradio-devel
sudo port activate gnuradio-devel
and start from go.
b) Sometimes ‘port’ thinks it is being smart by looking at the available
(deactivated) versions of a port, comparing to what is being requested,
and then activating a port instead of finishing the install of what you
already have being compiled. Adding in the “-s” (from source) does not
always help. Hence, having the user copy the library by hand – it’s
not difficult, and it’s easy to clean up if things don’t work right.
I hope that the final version will not send text to stdout, because this
interferes with a program delivering data to stdout; preferably all log-ish output
should be optional (other components of gnuradio fail at this), and if present it
should go to stderr rather than stdout.
I can move these printouts to stderr, even though they are not errors;
some are warnings and some just informational. What do others think:
stdout or stderr?
The behavior on not finding the specified device should not be using the default
device; instead, it should fail in a way the caller can observe. Doing otherwise
creates or hides bugs. (For example, suppose I’m building a publicly accessible
receiver (like WebSDR) using a soundcard interface; if it used the default input
device if that device wasn’t found, there’s a good chance I’d then be streaming
audio from the room the computer is in, which is a privacy problem!)
Right now, if the specified device (from, e.g., -I or -O) is not found,
then it reverts back to the default device. What you’re asking for is
for it to instead fail and print out some stuff to stderr, yes? That’s
certainly an option. I’d value other’s opinions on this matter.
Furthermore any information important enough to warn on ought to be exposed to
the caller, not just stderr/stdout, if nothing else so that non-console-based
applications can communicate the information to their actual user interface, as
well as performing appropriate error handling.
I don’t think GNU Radio supports this sort of caller exposure. I think
it can provide “log to file” and “print to terminal”, but not
communication with non-console-based applications – as a general rule.
If/when we move completely over to using Qt instead of Wx, then maybe
this can be an option; until then, we need to stick with those 2
options. That said, I’m open to listening to what others have to say on