Got mad with encodings again

Hi,

I’m in trouble with encoding again.
I have a text area. Where I can enter sentences. And when a sentence
that contains multiple lines is typed I get this into the DB:

(json serialized)

— “{“text”:[“line one\r\nline two”]}”

Ok. When I take it from the db I see it like this in the controller:
{“line one\r\nline two”=>“text”}
(I have done something in between to change the order but that’s
irrelevant)
But you can see the \r\n in it.

The thing is that in the view I need to pass it via javascript to a
function that re-creates the text area dynamically.

But the function gives the error: “Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected
token ILLEGAL”

For the javascript function I can use <%= CGI::escape(@thestring) %> and
then the text area is created and the line breaks respected. That would
be a way out.

BUT. If any of the letters contain an accent, like í, then CGI::escape
displays the letters with accents incorrectly. Instead of í I get í…

I cannot find a way to live with both, accents and line breaks.

Any ideas?

On May 20, 2011, at 4:44 PM, comopasta Gr wrote:

Ok. When I take it from the db I see it like this in the controller:
{“line one\r\nline two”=>“text”}
(I have done something in between to change the order but that’s
irrelevant)
But you can see the \r\n in it.

The thing is that in the view I need to pass it via javascript to a
function that re-creates the text area dynamically.

But the function gives the error: “Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected
token ILLEGAL”

From this week’s JavaScript Weekly newsletter:

JSON: The JavaScript subset that isn’t?
Magnus H. notes that while JSON is meant to also be syntactically
legal JavaScript code… it isn’t always. What has Magnus discovered?
Find out here.

http://timelessrepo.com/json-isnt-a-javascript-subset?utm_source=javascriptweekly&utm_medium=email

-Rob

To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-
[email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en
.

Rob B. http://agileconsultingllc.com
[email protected]
+1 513-295-4739
Skype: rob.biedenharn

From this week’s JavaScript Weekly newsletter:

JSON: The JavaScript subset that isn’t?
Magnus H. notes that while JSON is meant to also be syntactically
legal JavaScript code… it isn’t always. What has Magnus discovered?
Find out here.

http://timelessrepo.com/json-isnt-a-javascript-subset?utm_source=javascriptweekly&utm_medium=email

-Rob

Hi, thanks. Just don’t see how to use the solution.
I have used the patched rack middleware proposed but the problem
remains.
I guess it looks for U+2028 or U+2029 but I guess they are not present
in my case…

comopasta Gr wrote in post #999960:

Hi,

I’m in trouble with encoding again.
I have a text area. Where I can enter sentences. And when a sentence
that contains multiple lines is typed I get this into the DB:

(json serialized)

— “{“text”:[“line one\r\nline two”]}”

Ok. When I take it from the db I see it like this in the controller:
{“line one\r\nline two”=>“text”}
(I have done something in between to change the order but that’s
irrelevant)
But you can see the \r\n in it.

The thing is that in the view I need to pass it via javascript to a
function that re-creates the text area dynamically.

But the function gives the error: “Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected
token ILLEGAL”

Well now I think I fixed this. Nothing to do with json. More with common
sense. Mine.

In the controller I just added again the double \

@value = det.last[i].gsub!(/\n/, ‘\n’)
@value = det.last[i].gsub!(/\r/, ‘\r’)

Then @value can be used in the view by javascript and the line breaks
stay in place.
No JS error and no need to do any CGI::escape to keep them anymore. And
no problems with accents since I don’t use CGI::escape anymore.

Cheers.

On May 20, 2011, at 6:19 PM, comopasta Gr wrote:

-Rob

Hi, thanks. Just don’t see how to use the solution.
I have used the patched rack middleware proposed but the problem
remains.
I guess it looks for U+2028 or U+2029 but I guess they are not present
in my case…

But there two other characters and you have BOTH of those:
The following characters are consider to be line terminators:

\u000A - Line Feed
\u000D - Carriage Return
\u2028 - Line separator
\u2029 - Paragraph separator

Line feed, aka, \n
Carriage return, aka, \r

You might have to patch the patch to use the Unicode escape for the
others, too.

-Rob

Rob B.
[email protected] http://AgileConsultingLLC.com/
[email protected] http://GaslightSoftware.com/

SOLVED - I would be nice to be able to tell in the subject when a case
has been solved.

But there two other characters and you have BOTH of those:
The following characters are consider to be line terminators:

\u000A - Line Feed
\u000D - Carriage Return
\u2028 - Line separator
\u2029 - Paragraph separator

Line feed, aka, \n
Carriage return, aka, \r

You might have to patch the patch to use the Unicode escape for the
others, too.

-Rob

Rob B.
[email protected] http://AgileConsultingLLC.com/
[email protected] http://GaslightSoftware.com/

Thanks. That is true, I have to check that.
I found something interesting with the db configuration files. But I’ll
make a new thread not to mix this one.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs