Getting a Ruby script to run on a colleague's Mac

I wrote a Ruby script that’s working fine on my own Windows machine at
work. I wanted to share it with a colleague who uses a Mac at the
office, but I can’t get it to run.

The script needs several libraries, including the rss library.

On my Windows machine, the script says

require ‘rss’

and that works fine. I found the location of Ruby files on her machine,
but

require ‘/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss’

gives me an error that there’s no such file. If I use

require ‘/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss/rss.rb’

then the script finds that file but starts throwing other errors.

I have included #! /usr/in/env ruby

at the top of the script

Installing Ruby on her machine, instead of using the already installed
version, isn’t an option.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I’m not really familiar with Mac OS
X.

Which begs the the question why cant you reinstall the ruby interpreter
as well as does your colleague have ruby gems installed?

For that matter what are these other errors you mention and how are we
supposed to without knowing?

Mac OS is effectively a non-locked down Linux with a windowsy interface

On May 23, 2007, at 6:33 PM, Sharon wrote:

and that works fine.
I’m surprised, but I know nothing about Ruby on Windows. On my iMac,

require 'rss/2.0'

works.

Regards, Morton

Sharon [email protected] wrote:

and that works fine. I found the location of Ruby files on her machine,
but

require ‘/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss’

gives me an error that there’s no such file.

Why are you not saying simply require ‘rss’ just as in Windows? That
works fine on my Mac; require ‘/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss’ does not. m.

I had the same problem with the RSS. Since 10.4 comes with Ruby 1.8.2
(which doesn’t have the RSS class) you’ll need to update Ruby in
order for your script to work. Why is that not an option for your
colleague?

unknown wrote:

Sharon [email protected] wrote:

and that works fine. I found the location of Ruby files on her machine,
but

require ‘/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss’

gives me an error that there’s no such file.

Why are you not saying simply require ‘rss’ just as in Windows? That
works fine on my Mac; require ‘/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss’ does not. m.

Thanks for letting me know how it works on your Mac. I changed to the
full path because when I tried

require ‘rss’

I got an error message saying there was no file with that name. And
changing to the full path made that error message go away, so I was
guessing that perhaps the full path was needed.

Based on the previous message, it sounds like I’ll need to see if I can
update Ruby on my colleague’s Mac.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll investigate further. Otherwise, I’m
afraid I’m going to have to rewrite the script in Perl (which I’m a lot
more familiar with) and then put it on an internal server (as far as I
know, I don’t have access to a server here that has Ruby). The point of
this whole exercise was to start learning Ruby. At least I got the
script working on my own system!

Sharon M. [email protected] wrote:

Why are you not saying simply require ‘rss’ just as in Windows? That
works fine on my Mac; require ‘/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss’ does not. m.

Thanks for letting me know how it works on your Mac. I changed to the
full path because when I tried

require ‘rss’

I got an error message saying there was no file with that name. And
changing to the full path made that error message go away, so I was
guessing that perhaps the full path was needed.

I’m going to guess that the problem is that your friend has never
installed the Developer Tools (Xcode). m.

Sharon M. wrote:

unknown wrote:

Sharon [email protected] wrote:

and that works fine. I found the location of Ruby files on her machine,
but

require ‘/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss’

gives me an error that there’s no such file.

Why are you not saying simply require ‘rss’ just as in Windows? That
works fine on my Mac; require ‘/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rss’ does not. m.

Thanks for letting me know how it works on your Mac. I changed to the
full path because when I tried

require ‘rss’

I got an error message saying there was no file with that name. And
changing to the full path made that error message go away, so I was
guessing that perhaps the full path was needed.

Based on the previous message, it sounds like I’ll need to see if I can
update Ruby on my colleague’s Mac.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll investigate further. Otherwise, I’m
afraid I’m going to have to rewrite the script in Perl (which I’m a lot
more familiar with) and then put it on an internal server (as far as I
know, I don’t have access to a server here that has Ruby). The point of
this whole exercise was to start learning Ruby. At least I got the
script working on my own system!

a couple of things sharon…
1.) what ruby version do you have and your mac friend have (are they
different)
3.) $LOAD_PATH inside of IRb
4.) ENV chk inside of IRB
5.) do a LS of the MAC and check the acl of the RSS library inside a cmd
prompt

matt neuburg [email protected] wrote:

gives me an error that there’s no such file.
changing to the full path made that error message go away, so I was
guessing that perhaps the full path was needed.

I’m going to guess that the problem is that your friend has never
installed the Developer Tools (Xcode). m.

I taking back my guess. I tried a clean system install and sure enough,
require ‘rss’ doesn’t work. Then I installed Ruby 1.8.6, and it worked
fine. It’s a pity you’re not willing to update your friend’s Ruby; it
takes only a few minutes to do. m.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs