Get LinkedIn profiles information using web automation testing with Ruby/Watir

Hello All,

First of all, i apologize for my english and i hope it will be understandable.

I am new in this forum and I want help. In fact, i want to develop automated tests with a chrome extension which we are developing, using Ruby/Watir. This extension allows to connect to LinkedIn to get profiles information (using linkedin url) such as firstname, lastname, job title, phone number…etc. These got data will be stored in our database.

So my questions :

• Are there any tools to do automated tests with a chrome extension ?
  • Concerning linkedIn and for a question of stability of my Auto tests, isn’t it risky to use xpaths to get the right data ? knowing that the site changes often enough, how can I make my tests stable ?

If you have any experience in this field or any solution, do not hesitate to share your feedback.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

What programming language are you developing?

I am using Ruby language with Watir (based on selenium). So my question is, there is a way to click on the extension icon on the toolbar of Chrome browser ? In fact, i found a way to access directly to the html pages of the extension to handle the DOM. But i need to click on the extension icon on the toolbar to have information upgraded in live on the popup. There is a solution for that ?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Regards

Look for the “Web Developer” extension for the Chrome browser.