Get Date Modified value for a directory (folder)

Hello, folks.
I’m trying to find out a way to get “Date Modified” value for a
directory on Windows. Is it possible to get the value from Ruby?

The purpose of it is that I would like to get the newest sub directory
in a directory. If anyone knows a sleek way of accomplishing this in
Ruby, I’d appreciate it.

TIA

Hi,

At Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:54:45 +0900,
Hayato Iriumi wrote in [ruby-talk:265729]:

Hello, folks.
I’m trying to find out a way to get “Date Modified” value for a
directory on Windows. Is it possible to get the value from Ruby?

File.stat(".").mtime
File.mtime(".")

hi

whats the dot symobl indicates.

Please quote if you reply.

hi

whats the dot symobl indicates.

C:\ruby>ls .
ChangeLog.txt man
LICENSE.txt ruby.ico
MANIFEST rubyw.ico
README.1st samples
ReleaseNotes.txt share
bin src
doc uninstall.exe
lib uninstall_ruby_gnome2.exe

C:\ruby>

C:\ruby>dir .
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is B02E-688E

Directory of C:\ruby

05/06/2007 04:41 PM .
05/06/2007 04:41 PM …
08/18/2007 01:31 PM bin
03/16/2007 05:52 AM 9,906 ChangeLog.txt
05/06/2007 04:40 PM doc
05/06/2007 04:40 PM lib
05/03/2006 04:29 AM 4,305 LICENSE.txt
05/02/2007 04:12 PM man
03/15/2007 12:37 PM 602,342 MANIFEST
03/15/2007 12:33 PM 1,178 README.1st
03/16/2007 05:52 AM 4,564 ReleaseNotes.txt
03/16/2007 05:41 AM 4,286 ruby.ico
03/16/2007 05:41 AM 4,286 rubyw.ico
05/06/2007 04:40 PM samples
05/02/2007 04:12 PM share
05/02/2007 04:15 PM src
05/02/2007 04:16 PM 53,188 uninstall.exe
05/06/2007 04:41 PM 52,653 uninstall_ruby_gnome2.exe
9 File(s) 736,708 bytes
9 Dir(s) 4,687,994,880 bytes free

C:\ruby>

[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nagesh Sanana:

whats the dot symobl indicates.

the dot represents the current/working directory/path
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(computing)

some simple examples,

irb(main):192:0> puts ls -la ..grep(/.$/)
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 Aug 7 10:30 .
drwxr-xr-x 30 root root 4096 Jul 9 09:47 …
=> nil
irb(main):193:0> puts pwd
/root
=> nil
irb(main):194:0> ls -la . == ls -la /root
=> true
irb(main):195:0> ls -la . == ls -la /etc
=> false

and directories are just files (albeit special), so

irb(main):199:0> File.mtime “.”
=> Tue Aug 07 10:30:53 +0800 2007
irb(main):200:0> File.mtime “…”
=> Mon Jul 09 09:47:20 +0800 2007
irb(main):201:0> File.mtime “/root”
=> Tue Aug 07 10:30:53 +0800 2007

irb(main):207:0> File.stat(".") == File.stat("/root")
=> true
irb(main):208:0> File.stat(".") == File.stat("…")
=> false
irb(main):209:0> File.stat("/root") == File.stat("…")
=> false
irb(main):210:0> File.stat("/") == File.stat("…")
=> true

kind regards -botp

I was trying to get modified date/time for a remote directory and the
way you showed me worked only when I mapped the drive, so it’s all OK,
but I just wanted to let the community know that it doesn’t seem to work
if you specify the path like…

puts File.stat(’\\remoteMachineName\Test\Dir1’)

When I do it, I get Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory -

Again, when I map the network folder, it works OK.

Nobuyoshi N. wrote:

Hi,

At Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:54:45 +0900,
Hayato Iriumi wrote in [ruby-talk:265729]:

Hello, folks.
I’m trying to find out a way to get “Date Modified” value for a
directory on Windows. Is it possible to get the value from Ruby?

File.stat(".").mtime
File.mtime(".")

Ara, nihonjin no kata desune. Gokaitou arigatou gozaimashita.

Thank you very much for your help. I will give it a try today and let
you know how it goes.

Nobuyoshi N. wrote:

Hi,

At Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:54:45 +0900,
Hayato Iriumi wrote in [ruby-talk:265729]:

Hello, folks.
I’m trying to find out a way to get “Date Modified” value for a
directory on Windows. Is it possible to get the value from Ruby?

File.stat(".").mtime
File.mtime(".")

OOPS, the sample code was wrong. It should be…

puts File.stat(’\\remoteMachineName\Test\Dir1’).mtime

It still doesn’t work, however.

FYI

Hayato Iriumi wrote:

I was trying to get modified date/time for a remote directory and the
way you showed me worked only when I mapped the drive, so it’s all OK,
but I just wanted to let the community know that it doesn’t seem to work
if you specify the path like…

puts File.stat(’\\remoteMachineName\Test\Dir1’)

When I do it, I get Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory -

Again, when I map the network folder, it works OK.

Nobuyoshi N. wrote:

Hi,

At Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:54:45 +0900,
Hayato Iriumi wrote in [ruby-talk:265729]:

Hello, folks.
I’m trying to find out a way to get “Date Modified” value for a
directory on Windows. Is it possible to get the value from Ruby?

File.stat(".").mtime
File.mtime(".")

On Behalf Of Hayato Iriumi:

I was trying to get modified date/time for a remote directory and the

way you showed me worked only when I mapped the drive, so it’s all OK,

but I just wanted to let the community know that it doesn’t

seem to work if you specify the path like…

puts File.stat(’\\remoteMachineName\Test\Dir1’)

When I do it, I get Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory -

Again, when I map the network folder, it works OK.

Hi Iriumi,

it works here,

irb(main):054:0> puts dir \\\\bg-mis-pbot\\test\\test.txt
Volume in drive \bg-mis-pbot\test is hd
Volume Serial Number is 7CD8-B514

Directory of \bg-mis-pbot\test

08/23/2007 08:53 AM 0 test.txt
1 File(s) 0 bytes
0 Dir(s) 1,899,081,728 bytes free
=> nil
irb(main):055:0> puts File.stat("\\bg-mis-pbot\test\test.txt")
#<File::Stat:0x28d19e8>
=> nil
irb(main):056:0> p File.stat("\\bg-mis-pbot\test\test.txt")
#<File::Stat dev=0x2, ino=0, mode=0100644, nlink=1, uid=0, gid=0,
rdev=0x2, size=0, blksize=nil, blocks=nil, atime=Thu Aug 23 08:53:35
+0800 2007, mtime=Thu Aug 23 08:53:35 +0800 2007, ctime=Thu Aug 23
08:53:35 +0800 2007>
=> nil
irb(main):057:0>
irb(main):058:0> puts ver
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
=> nil
irb(main):066:0> p File.mtime(’\\bg-mis-pbot\test\test.txt’)
Thu Aug 23 08:53:35 +0800 2007
=> nil

kind regards -botp

This is a reply to myself.

When I did…

puts File.stat(rootDir + ‘\’ + subDir).mtime

I got an error… but when I did…

dirPath = rootDir + ‘\’ + subDir
puts File.stat(dirPath).mtime

It worked. Weird…

Hello,
After I read your reply, I gave it another try. It’s working now! I
don’t understand why it wasn’t working last time, but now it’s all good.
I might have had some wrong code?

Anyway, thanks for taking your time to try it out.

Peña, Botp wrote:

On Behalf Of Hayato Iriumi:

I was trying to get modified date/time for a remote directory and the

way you showed me worked only when I mapped the drive, so it’s all OK,

but I just wanted to let the community know that it doesn’t

seem to work if you specify the path like…

puts File.stat(’\\remoteMachineName\Test\Dir1’)

When I do it, I get Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory -

Again, when I map the network folder, it works OK.

Hi Iriumi,

it works here,

irb(main):054:0> puts dir \\\\bg-mis-pbot\\test\\test.txt
Volume in drive \bg-mis-pbot\test is hd
Volume Serial Number is 7CD8-B514

Directory of \bg-mis-pbot\test

08/23/2007 08:53 AM 0 test.txt
1 File(s) 0 bytes
0 Dir(s) 1,899,081,728 bytes free
=> nil
irb(main):055:0> puts File.stat("\\bg-mis-pbot\test\test.txt")
#<File::Stat:0x28d19e8>
=> nil
irb(main):056:0> p File.stat("\\bg-mis-pbot\test\test.txt")
#<File::Stat dev=0x2, ino=0, mode=0100644, nlink=1, uid=0, gid=0,
rdev=0x2, size=0, blksize=nil, blocks=nil, atime=Thu Aug 23 08:53:35
+0800 2007, mtime=Thu Aug 23 08:53:35 +0800 2007, ctime=Thu Aug 23
08:53:35 +0800 2007>
=> nil
irb(main):057:0>
irb(main):058:0> puts ver
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
=> nil
irb(main):066:0> p File.mtime(’\\bg-mis-pbot\test\test.txt’)
Thu Aug 23 08:53:35 +0800 2007
=> nil

kind regards -botp

Hi,

At Fri, 24 Aug 2007 02:13:08 +0900,
Hayato Iriumi wrote in [ruby-talk:265968]:

When I did…

puts File.stat(rootDir + ‘\’ + subDir).mtime

I got an error… but when I did…

dirPath = rootDir + ‘\’ + subDir
puts File.stat(dirPath).mtime

It worked. Weird…

What are the exact platform, version and patchlevel, which is
given with `ruby -v’? One-click Installer?

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs