Does the GeoIP module still work with the latest Nginx release?
Also, does anyone have a copy of the module? The link on the wiki
Phillip B Oldham
The Activity People
[email protected] mailto:[email protected]
This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the above named
recipient(s) only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in
error, please reply to this e-mail and highlight the error. No action
should be taken regarding content, nor must you copy or show them to
This e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is
not a 100% secure communications medium, and we have taken steps to
ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus. We must
advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should
ensure they are completely virus free, and that you understand and
observe the lack of security when e-mailing us.
I ran a test on the debug server, and I added an entry to the geo list
to have the IP I was testing from. It got through our security without
any problem. I know for a fact that it is not working properly though,
perhaps load or memory is somehow causing problems with it on our other
The only difference between our test server and our production servers
is the test server uses the --debug compile flag, while the production
servers do not, but they do have the syslog patch applied, which should
not effect the geo lists as far as I understand.
The configs, distros, everything else is the same. We generate the
configs on a single system and then push them out to all of our servers,
including the debug server at the same time.
The reason I know that it is not working properly, is that one of our
customers websites running through our security had the google webcache
system pick up our security page rather then their web page. Our
security page lists the visitors IP address, which was the google
crawler IP. I took that IP and checked our geo list of search engines
that should be allowed through, and it was in the list. We’ve gone over
the configs to see if we perhaps missed the if statement mentioned
earlier which does the proxy_pass, but everything is in place, as it has
been working for quiet a while. We have had an increase in traffic
lately through our servers though, so I am curious if possible load
plays some factor in the geo lists being processed or something.
Posted at Nginx Forum:
I have done a bunch of more testing, and so far, the geo module appears
to be working, and this may be due to a configuration problem somewhere
Posted at Nginx Forum: