Gentoo for Rails?

I’m curious to know why Gentoo is a very commonly used distro for the
Rails community. Any reasons for this?

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 11:58:12AM -0700, Sal wrote:

I’m curious to know why Gentoo is a very commonly used distro for the
Rails community. Any reasons for this?

I think you may have been misled. I mostly hear about Ubuntu, though I
know
there are lots of deployments on RHEL and CentOS.

–Greg

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Gregory S.
[email protected] wrote:

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 11:58:12AM -0700, Sal wrote:

I’m curious to know why Gentoo is a very commonly used distro for the
Rails community. Any reasons for this?

I think you may have been misled. I mostly hear about Ubuntu, though I know
there are lots of deployments on RHEL and CentOS.

I agree. I’ve not heard of a single Gentoo + Rails deployment, ever.
I’m sure some exist but no one is really blogging about them or
anything. Linux is 99% the same from distro to distro… same gcc,
same glibc, same kernel, just slightly different versions. The major
difference is the package management, and that’s a tiny, tiny piece of
the overall pie.


Greg D.
destiney.com | gregdonald.com

On Jul 8, 4:41 pm, Greg D. [email protected] wrote:

I agree. I’ve not heard of a single Gentoo + Rails deployment, ever.
I’m sure some exist but no one is really blogging about them or
anything. Linux is 99% the same from distro to distro… same gcc,
same glibc, same kernel, just slightly different versions. The major
difference is the package management, and that’s a tiny, tiny piece of
the overall pie.

For what it’s worth Engineyard use gentoo (but I agree that you hear
far more about people using ubuntu)

Fred

I had a much easier time installing rails on gentoo then ubuntu.

Of course on gentoo you have a lot more control over what’s installed
with the price of knowing what to install.

Any distro will do though. I’d suggest looking into rvm as well.

I Work rails on my beauty Gentoo System, i find hard install rails over
Ubuntu because you need know each package to install :-(, on Gentoo is
easy.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Agoofin [email protected] wrote:


Atte. ISC. Gerardo González Cruz

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Frederick C.
[email protected]nvalid wrote:

For what it’s worth Engineyard use gentoo (but I agree that you hear
far more about people using ubuntu)

Ahh… that explains why the prices are so high. Their electric bill
must be through the roof from all that compilation.


Greg D.
destiney.com | gregdonald.com

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Andy J. [email protected]
wrote:

What’s hard?
Cheers,

gem update --system used to be forbidden on Debian and Debian-like
distros. (I don’t know if this is still like this), this added to the
usually outdated ruby packages used to be a headache.
However, you can install the rubygems-update gem and update it with
sudo update_rubygems. And that solves all the problem.

Anyway, now with RVM, the distro should be irrelevant as long as it is
a “full” distro which grants you a decent package repository if you
need any dependency.

Please don’t make it a flame war about linux distros.
To the OP, I really haven’t heard about any Gentoo user in the rails
community so far, if I have to say there’s a predminant OS in the
rails community that would be Mac OS. (And I don’t know why either)

Cheers.

Leonardo M…
There’s no place like ~

Please don’t make it a flame war about linux distros.
To the OP, I really haven’t heard about any Gentoo user in the rails
community so far, if I have to say there’s a predminant OS in the
rails community that would be Mac OS. (And I don’t know why either)

As a Mac OS X user I don’t particularly care about which distro to use
(so I
had no intention of making it a flame war), I was just trying to point
out
that it’s not that hard :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Andy

Yes really:

shell$ emerge rails
and the same commands

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Andy J.
[email protected]wrote:

gem install rails passenger

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google G.
“Ruby on Rails: Talk” group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected][email protected]
.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.


Atte. ISC. Gerardo González Cruz

Anything but Windows. My company tried to get me to deploy on Win Server
2008. 3 days of hell… not just annoying hell, headbanging against wall
hell. I dont think anyone could pay me to try that again. Ubuntu Server

1/2 day. I am also sure Gentoo is better than Win :slight_smile:

On 9 July 2010 00:32, Gerardo Gonzalez C. [email protected]
wrote:

I Work rails on my beauty Gentoo System, i find hard install rails over
Ubuntu because you need know each package to install :-(, on Gentoo is easy.

Really?

apt-get install ruby1.8 ruby1.8-dev rubygems
gem update --system
gem install rails passenger

Configure Passenger as normal.

What’s hard?

Cheers,

Andy

Yeah i am sure about this… :smiley: Windows sucks.

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:03 PM, DK [email protected] wrote:

shell$ emerge rails

Cheers,
.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google G.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google G.
“Ruby on Rails: Talk” group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected][email protected]
.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en.


Atte. ISC. Gerardo González Cruz

I’m a big fan of Rails on Gentoo - RoR 3.x is working great here -
http://praxis.edoceo.com/howto/rails

I’m also love Gentoo, and my web server is Gentoo based. I’m new to Ruby
and RoR at all (just a few hours!). Is it possible to use RoR 4 on
Gentoo?

, 2 2013 ., 13:57:01 UTC+6 David Busby :

It’s possible to use even on Windows…
I dont know which kind of package managrr gentoo uses (apt, rpm, tarball
only) but even if you dont had any… You could just install git and
pull
the sources of ruby or rails and install them…
It could be a bit painfull but possible
Em 30/09/2013 06:35, " " [email protected] escreveu:

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs