Gems and Rails use cases

Now that most of the files required by rails are loading successfully,
I’m now trying to actually run a number of gems/rails use cases:

ir.exe c:\rubygems-1.1.1\setup.rb
ir.exe c:\ruby\bin\gem -h
ir.exe c:\ruby\bin\gem -list
ir.exe c:\ruby\bin\gem install rails
ir.exe c:\ruby\bin\rails -h
ir.exe c:\ruby\bin\rails my_rails_app
ir.exe c:\my_rails_app\script\server
ir.exe c:\my_rails_app\public\dispatch.cgi

I installed the MRI windows one click installer and replaced the
i386-mswin32 directory with an ironruby directory that contains stubs
for:
thread.so, etc.so, socket.so, stringio.so, syck.so, zlib.so, digest.so,
digest/sha2.so, openssl.so, enumerator.so, bigdecimal.so, nkf.so,
strscan.so

The following lists the problems that I encountered (and in some cases
worked around) for these use cases:

gems setup.rb:

  • Mutex class not declared (from Thread.so)
  • gsub $n bug [bug #20137]
  • Hash modified during iteration [bug #20198]
  • require infinite loop [bug #20131]
  • Time::gmt_offset not implemented [patch #20175]
  • Dir.glob unexpected character [bug #19843]
  • define_method overload missing [bug #20119?]
  • Mutex::synchronize method not implemented
  • File::stat, lstat & unlink methods not implemented [bug #20252]

gem -h:
gem list:
gem install rails:

  • Interrupt class not declared
  • Regexp.new(string, string) method not implemented
  • YAML::Syck::Resolver class not declared
  • YAML::Syck::DefaultResolver constant not defined
  • YAML::Syck::Resolver::use_types_at method not implemented
  • YAML::Syck:GenericResolver constant not defined
  • YAML::Syck:Parser class not declared
  • YAML::Syck:Emitter class not declared
  • Digest::SHA256 not defined
  • Module::define_method(:symbol) { block} overload not implemented

rails generate myapp:

  • ResolveSourceUnit load source with no extension [bug #20206]
  • Signal.trap method not implemented

rails runtime (webrick):
rails runtime (dispatch.cgi):

  • ENV::each method not implemented
  • Regexp unrecognized escape sequence _ [bug #20205]
  • File::SEPARATOR = ‘/’ rather than ‘’ ???
  • Module::method_added method not implemented
  • Thread::critical= method not implemented
  • NKF class not implemented (from nkf.so)
  • send attr_accessor [bug #20242]

Wayne,

How are you going about creating the list of problems as you try and
load
things? Are you just using trial and error or are you using something
else
to uncover the missing pieces?

Thanks,
Steve

I was using an automation script to generate the tally of different
types of known errors back when I was attempting to load the 100s of
different ruby source files required by rails. Now, I’m pretty much just
running the different use cases and seeing where it crashes.

Cheers, Wayne.

How are you going about creating the list of problems as you try and
load things? Are you just using trial and error or are you using
something else to uncover the missing pieces?

Thanks,
Steve