Gem: after installing display text

Hello,
Is it possible to display some message after installing a gem? I have
a gem
and I want to inform the user about a few items… this would seem like
a
common thing but I couldn’t find any info on it.
Thanks,
Kurt

On Dec 17, 2005, at 1:28 PM, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:

Hello,
Is it possible to display some message after installing a gem? I
have a gem
and I want to inform the user about a few items… this would seem
like a
common thing but I couldn’t find any info on it.

Ok, we’re writing up a card for it.


Eric H. - [email protected] - http://segment7.net
This implementation is HODEL-HASH-9600 compliant

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:44:12 -0000, Eric H. [email protected]
wrote:

Is there any chance it could be made slightly more general? Like:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2890&group_id=126&atid=578

so you could ‘puts’ any message you liked, and also do additional
installation (e.g. manpages) or processing (e.g. populate a database
from
the net).

On 17/12/05, Ross B. [email protected] wrote:

Is there any chance it could be made slightly more general? Like:

    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2890&group_id=126&atid=578

so you could ‘puts’ any message you liked, and also do additional
installation (e.g. manpages) or processing (e.g. populate a database from
the net).

I would suggest that the feature be set up as follows:

  • Any gem may display a message.
  • Signed gems may execute extra commands, but only after asking the
    user.

The user should ultimately be able to identify authors that are
trusted so that trusted signed gems may execute extra stuff without
asking the user.

-austin

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:28:33 -0000, Austin Z.
[email protected]
wrote:

I would suggest that the feature be set up as follows:

  • Any gem may display a message.
  • Signed gems may execute extra commands, but only after asking the
    user.

The user should ultimately be able to identify authors that are
trusted so that trusted signed gems may execute extra stuff without
asking the user.

That seems sensible. It would certainly be a nice feature to have (for
me,
anyway), but since I guess most gem installs run as root it’s definitely
a
good point that it has to be trustworthy. :slight_smile:

I guess it could have a similar keystore functionality to RPM or
similar,
grab key and install with gem install-key or something. Nothing too
fancy…

  • Any gem may display a message.
  • Signed gems may execute extra commands, but only after asking the user.

The user should ultimately be able to identify authors that are
trusted so that trusted signed gems may execute extra stuff without
asking the user.

The Gem signing code has a rudimentary security policy framework
(Gem::Security::Policy) which could be extended to support this
behavior.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs