FXRuby not seeing Ruby headers


#1

I’m trying to install FXRuby (in order to user FreeRIDE. Are there any
better free Ruby IDE’s out there?) but get the following when trying to
configure it:

strauss@bash ~/Downloads/Ruby/ext/fxruby-1.4.6 > ruby install.rb config
install.rb: entering config phase…
—> lib
—> lib/fox14
<— lib/fox14
<— lib
—> ext
—> ext/fox14
/usr/bin/ruby
/Users/Strauss/Downloads/Ruby/ext/FXRuby-1.4.6/ext/fox14/extconf.rb
can’t find header files for ruby.
config failed
'system /usr/bin/ruby
/Users/Strauss/Downloads/Ruby/ext/FXRuby-1.4.6/ext/fox14/extconf.rb ’
failed
Try ‘ruby install.rb --help’ for detailed usage.

What am I doing wrong? I don’t understand why it can’t find Ruby’s
header files. Any help would be great.


#2

Yes, you can try RADRAILS It is still on beta but much better than a
simple
editor
www.radrails.org
It is based on Eclipse technology
Omar


#3

On 5/25/06, B. Strauss removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

What am I doing wrong? I don’t understand why it can’t find Ruby’s
header files. Any help would be great.

Which operating system is this?

If you’re running Linux, it may be that you haven’t installed the
“dev” package for Ruby, i.e. the package that includes such header
files.


#4

Lyle J. wrote:

Which operating system is this?

If you’re running Linux, it may be that you haven’t installed the
“dev” package for Ruby, i.e. the package that includes such header
files.

It’s Darwin (Unix) on Mac OS X.


#5

On 5/29/06, B. Strauss removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

It’s Darwin (Unix) on Mac OS X.

OK. And have you done the “fix” for Apple’s pre-installed Ruby on Mac OS
X? See:

http://richkilmer.blogs.com/ether/2005/04/ruby_182_in_tig.html

– Lyle


#6

Lyle J. wrote:

On 5/29/06, B. Strauss removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

It’s Darwin (Unix) on Mac OS X.

OK. And have you done the “fix” for Apple’s pre-installed Ruby on Mac OS
X? See:

http://richkilmer.blogs.com/ether/2005/04/ruby_182_in_tig.html

– Lyle

i have the latest version installed, does that still apply? it doesn’t
matter, though, i’m going to use radrails, which is excellent


#7

Okay, I’m having the same problem again when trying to install the
postgresql gem:
$ gem install postgres
Attempting local installation of ‘postgres’
Local gem file not found: postgres*.gem
Attempting remote installation of ‘postgres’
ERROR: While executing gem … (Errno::EACCES)
Permission denied - /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/postgres-0.7.1.gem
$ sudo gem install postgres
Password:
Attempting local installation of ‘postgres’
Local gem file not found: postgres*.gem
Attempting remote installation of ‘postgres’
Building native extensions. This could take a while…
can’t find header files for ruby.
ERROR: While executing gem … (RuntimeError)
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/postgres-0.7.1 for inspection.
ruby extconf.rb install postgres\n

What do I do?