Fwd: RubyTk...books and links and such

[ Don’t cull the damn mailing list…]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Serg K. [email protected]
Date: 24 Feb 2008 15:04
Subject: Re: RubyTk…books and links and such
To: Thomas A. [email protected]

Everything lol. Just starting to learn and was trying to find a good
GUI toolkit. FX looks promising but it doesn’t seem to install
without a lot of hassles on OSX…and that usually means that’s not
the only problem. I also looked at “Shoes” but that doesn’t look
promising because of the history with HacketyHack (being dropped).
Basically, I’m interested in stability and ease of use.

Personally, I’d like to get rid of the silly background image on the
link http://members.chello.nl/~k.vangelder/ruby/learntk/ so I can
read it without going cross-eyed :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions though; it helps.

On Feb 24, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Thomas A. wrote:

Hello –

On 24/02/2008, Serg K. [email protected] wrote:

Any RubyTk books around? I haven’t been able to find anything
online. I see there is a RubyFX book coming out but that doesn’t
seem
very stable from everything I’ve read on OS X.

There’s chapter in the Pickaxe book about Ruby and Tk as well as a
dedicated mailing list hosted via googlegroups on the matter and this
page here:

http://members.chello.nl/~k.vangelder/ruby/learntk/

Just what is it you’re wanting to know?

– Thomas A.

Well I just discovered that “Making Use of Ruby” has a chapter as
well; it seems a bit more thorough and better organized than the one
in “picaxe”. It’s still not complete though; no mention of menus for
example. Picaxe gives a brief overview and then pretty much throws
its hands up and says “you’re on your own now. go look at Perl docs.”
Not very useful. Still looking for a thorough treatment…

Just my two cents…