From: “Fred Allen” [email protected]
Subject: FW: Ominous quietude
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 03:30:17 +0900

Hi,

Yiu have started the ruyb interpreter itsself.
Try to find and execute irb.exe (guessed,…I am working on a UNIX
system, where there are no “*.exe”…they are name – for example –
simply “ruby” instead of “ruby.exe” – therefore I think, that “irb”
on UNIX must be “irb.exe” under windows.).

irb is the “interactive ruby shell”.

ruby.exe (“ruby” on UNIX) is the interpreter which process textfiles
with commands.

Hope I could help a little.
Dont hesitate to ask because who who do not ask will get no answers
:slight_smile:

Keep hacking!
mcc

From: “Fred Allen” [email protected]

When I initiate Ruby’s interactive application (c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe) it
seems strangely inert. No prompt appears on the opened window (exact
reproduction below).

Hi,

For interactive ruby, try “irb” instead of ruby.exe.

ruby.exe invoked with no parameters reads a script from stdin
(standard input) and will execute it when end-of-file is
reached. (On windows, you can use control-Z to type and
end-of-file character.)

But for an interactive ruby session, try irb.

Hope this helps,

Bill