Friday Status Update

Like we talked about earlier, let’s give an update on what we are
working on

I’m working on hacking optparse to work so that we can update to the
newest Rubinius spec’s. Then I’ll be closing out a whole slew of bugs.

Jim D.

I’m still working on the shelveset that I sent out for code review
earlier today (bugfixes9). We found a few more issues when we did the
code review. The most interesting case is this one:

We normally define methods that accept symbol using a signature that
takes a SymbolId, eg:

[RubyMethod(“attr”, RubyMethodAttributes.PrivateInstance)]
public static void Attr(CodeContext/!/ context, RubyModule/!/ self,
SymbolId name) {
DefineAccessor(context, self, name, true, false);
}

Methods like these will blow up if you pass it a ‘string-like’ thing. We
have a Protocol to convert these things - Protocols.CastToSymbol(),
which does the right thing, which is call to_str on the target.

We have an open question right now which is whether we should bake in
object to SymbolId conversions in the binder or whether we should handle
them in a case by case basis by defining an overload that accepts an
Object, and calling Protocols.CastToSymbol() on that object.

Once I get this shelveset past the troll, I’ll work next on getting
socket.cs and the ironi regex library into the tree.

Thanks,
-John