Forum <-> ML gateway

Hello,

any idea why the forum/mailing list gateway ignores my replies? do I
need to register there or there are certain “tokens” I need to include
in the reply?

Thanks,
Alejandro Mery

On 4/24/10 6:06 AM, Alejandro Mery wrote:

Hello,

any idea why the forum/mailing list gateway ignores my replies? do I
need to register there or there are certain “tokens” I need to include
in the reply?

Thanks,
Alejandro Mery

Can you point me to other mailing list replies that seem to be missing?

Jim O.

Hello!

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:00:31AM -0400, Jim O. wrote:

forum <-> ML gateway

Can you point me to other mailing list replies that seem to be missing?

Here is recent example I’ve happen to find in russian mailing
list. Forum thread:

And here is coresponding one in mailing list archive (with 4 extra
messages):

http://nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-ru/2010-April/033631.html
http://nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-ru/2010-April/thread.html#33631

And in some cases messages are actually available in forum but
disappear after reply in forum.

Maxim D.

On 4/24/10 9:18 AM, Maxim D. wrote:

proxy_cache + закачка файла

And here is coresponding one in mailing list archive (with 4 extra
messages):

proxy cache + закачка файла
Архив nginx-ru, том Апрель 2010, сообщения упорядочены по по дискуссиям

The four “extra” messages are there. They were placed in separate
threads.

http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?21,76601

This is a known issue with parsing non-Latin characters. It doesn’t
happen often in English forum, if ever, and only occasionally in the
Russian forum. Since I don’t read the Russian mailing list/forum, I
don’t really see it. I am open to anyone who actually is interested and
able to do so to take on the job of merging the threads. I will happily
assign moderator powers for such. I doubt it would take more than 5
minutes per day for someone who reads Russian. For me it is character
recognition without understanding what I am reading in the subject and
is fairly tedious. For someone with even cursory understanding of
Russian it should be quite simple.

And in some cases messages are actually available in forum but
disappear after reply in forum.

Sorry Maxim, but this is impossible. A post can only “disappear” if it
is specifically deleted by myself. Sometimes new posts and threads are
caught in the spam traps I have in place. This prevents most forum based
spam from getting out to the mailing lists but traps many legitimate
entries as well. The reason is that one of the criteria for determining
if something is spam is many URL’s in an entry. So it happens more often
than I’d like. Once in a while a person gets frustrated and enters a
second post that goes through. In such cases I might delete the original
if the content was more or less the same. In such cases, however, the
entry was never visible. In any event, I check for such entries several
times a day. The longest span is my overnight hours which unfortunately
might go into the early to mid afternoon in Moscow time. Again, I am
open to someone in a European time zone having access to approve such
messages.

Separately, there was until recently an error in processing entries to
the Russian announcement forum. As a result some entries are missing.
That was my fault and was due to an error I created when I changed
servers. That has been corrected and the announcement for nginx 0.8.36
was included as it should have been.

Anyone interested in helping out in any way can feel free to contact me
off-list.

Jim O.

On 4/24/10 9:41 AM, Alejandro Mery wrote:

to the top of the list for outgoing messages (at least under the old
Majordomo based system) so ours went out pretty much right away. I’m not
certain if that’s still the case. The forum checks all of the mail every
two minutes via cron so there is rarely more than a delay of more than a
few minutes.

As for same subject replies, this may be a bug or may be by design. I
will look into the script.

Jim O.

Hi Jim,

Can you point me to other mailing list replies that seem to be missing?

oh, thanks! it seems it’s only the “natural” delay. when I checked
they weren’t there yet. and some confusion on replies to threads
with the same topic. my reply to
Permanent Redirect it got added
to the original thread instead
Re: Permanent Redirect

Alejandro

Hello!

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:59:46AM -0400, Jim O. wrote:

On 4/24/10 9:18 AM, Maxim D. wrote:

[…]

This is a known issue with parsing non-Latin characters. It doesn’t
happen often in English forum, if ever, and only occasionally in the
Russian forum. Since I don’t read the Russian mailing list/forum, I

[…]

I don’t really understand how parsing non-Latin characters is
related to threading. It should be done based on matching
Message-Id and In-Reply-To/References headers, which are
ASCII-only.

If it’s done based on Subject for some unknown reason - it should
be just changed to do correct Message-Id/In-Reply-To matching
instead.

And in some cases messages are actually available in forum but
disappear after reply in forum.

Sorry Maxim, but this is impossible. A post can only “disappear” if
it is specifically deleted by myself. Sometimes new posts and

[…]

Here it is:

http://nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-ru/2010-March/thread.html#33016

The following message was there (and was replied by Sergey in the
same forum thread), but disappeared after reply:

http://nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-ru/2010-March/033042.html

Here is Sergey’s reply:

And here is his question (“Strange, your previous post
disappeared”):

Maxim D.

p.s. And, BTW, another problem which may be seen in the same
thread and very annoying: forum-to-maillist gateway skips things
like “[alert]” while they are happily rendered in the forum itself.
In extreme cases it munges regexps posted via forum to something
different but still valid.

Most likely it tries to skip bbcodes, but looks like it does it
wrong and this causes more harm than good. Could you please
either fix it or just switch off this bbcode removal?

Just wondering if nginx is at the point now where moving most of the
project resources to something like Sourceforge, github, launchpad, or
bitbucket makes sense. Wikis, mailing lists, forums, issue tracking,
code, releases all in one place. It’s a solved problem, and unifying
things might actually increase the nginx contrbutor pool.

Igor, do you have an opinion? I would help with wiki porting & SCM
conversion…

RPM

On 4/24/10 9:19 PM, Maxim D. wrote:

Hello!

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:59:46AM -0400, Jim O. wrote:

On 4/24/10 9:18 AM, Maxim D. wrote:

[…]

I don’t really understand how parsing non-Latin characters is
related to threading. It should be done based on matching
Message-Id and In-Reply-To/References headers, which are
ASCII-only.

If it’s done based on Subject for some unknown reason - it should
be just changed to do correct Message-Id/In-Reply-To matching
instead.

I will look into this but it seems only to happen (if memory serves me
correctly) in subjects with a mixture of Latin and Cyrillic characters.
It’s not my script and I’m not likely to be able to do a better job with
PHP than the original author. However, I can try. It does not happen in
English forum, or very rarely.

[alert] 886#0: worker process 24832 exited on signal 11

And here is his question (“Strange, your previous post
disappeared”):

Re: [alert] 886#0: worker process 24832 exited on signal 11

I stand corrected. The other way it can happen is if I restore a
database backup. I did on March 17th as I had a problem with a Phorum
upgrade and had to restore a backup. Looking through my email records
that occurred on March 17th. (Looking also at Google, Phorum version
5.2.15 was released that day. I upgraded - there is a thread on my
issues in their support forum which is currently unreachable.) So it’s
likely that in the 30-60 minutes that I was working on this a few
messages were indeed lost. The backup that was restored was no older
than that, and was probably closer to 15 minutes old. It’s an
overstatement to say that “in some cases messages are actually available
in forum but disappear after reply in forum.” This type of thing happens
and is why I follow the good practice to create a backup of the database
and of all files immediately prior to any upgrade. I made an error in
judgement in not stopping the cron job that imports email into the
database every two minutes. Once those emails are imported they are
deleted from the “Maildir” and cannot be recovered. So once I reverted
to the “good” database those entries were gone.

Do you have other examples from other time periods? If so then there are
several possibilities including that someone might have gotten my
password. I have changed it just now.

wrong and this causes more harm than good. Could you please
either fix it or just switch off this bbcode removal?

I don’t know how “happily” it renders anything. However, the bbcode
stripping in outgoing email is woefully inadequate and will strip
anything enclosed in square brackets. I have disabled this as of now but
it will likely have some undesirable effects.

Jim O.