& - FixNum - method doubt

Hi All,

irb> a=12
irb> a.methods

it contains & method

So I tried like …
irb> 3&6
=> 2
irb> 3&7
=> 3
irb> 7&21
=> 5

I can’t understand how it works. Anyone help me

Thanks,
P.Raveendran

I am just learning Ruby but it looks like the binary intersection of the
true bits. In shorter terms a binary “and” command.
3&6=2
in binary
011&110=010

3&7=3
in binary
011&111=011

7&21=5
in binary
00111&10101=00101

Randy

Randall Alexander wrote:

I am just learning Ruby but it looks like the binary intersection of the
true bits. In shorter terms a binary “and” command.
3&6=2
in binary
011&110=010

3&7=3
in binary
011&111=011

7&21=5
in binary
00111&10101=00101

Randy

Hi Randy,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Also i need help about these methods

[email protected]
[email protected]
=~

Thanks in Advance,
Thanks,
P.Raveendran

Hi Randy,

And few more …

[email protected]
[email protected]
=~

[]
^
id
send

Waiting for your reply

Thanks in Advance,
Thanks,
P.Raveendran

And few more …

http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-1.9/classes/
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-1.9/classes/Fixnum.html

Leo wrote:

And few more …

http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-1.9/classes/
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-1.9/classes/Fixnum.html

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using Ruby 1.86 so http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/ will help me.

Regards,
P.Raveendran

Leo wrote:

And few more …

http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-1.9/classes/
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-1.9/classes/Fixnum.html

Hi Leo,

http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-1.9/classes/Fixnum.html also I couldn’t
find the methods like,

id
send
denominator

etc…,

Please help to me once again…

Regards,
P.Raveendran

2009/3/21 jazzez ravi [email protected]:

id
send
denominator

Methods that appear for instances of a particular class may be defined
in ancestors of that class (or included modules, either of the class
or its ancestors), rather than than in the class itself. In this case
id and send are Kernel methods (probably documented under
Object, rather than Kernel) and denominator is, I think, defined in
Numeric.

Christopher D. wrote:

2009/3/21 jazzez ravi [email protected]:

id
send
denominator

Methods that appear for instances of a particular class may be defined
in ancestors of that class (or included modules, either of the class
or its ancestors), rather than than in the class itself. In this case
id and send are Kernel methods (probably documented under
Object, rather than Kernel) and denominator is, I think, defined in
Numeric.

Hi christopher,

Yes. Finally I got exact solution.Thanks for your help.

Regards,
P.Raveendran

Hi all,

one small change

String :

http://raveendran.wordpress.com/2009/03/30/ruby-string-documentation/

Regards,
P.Raveendran

Hi All,

Methods that appear for instances of a particular class may be defined
in ancestors of that class (or included modules, either of the class
or its ancestors), rather than than in the class itself. In this case
id and send are Kernel methods (probably documented under
Object, rather than Kernel) and denominator is, I think, defined in
Numeric.

I spent more time to find the solution for all methods. So I created one
document which contains all the methods for that particular class.

Now it is available here

Fixnum:

http://raveendran.wordpress.com/2009/03/25/ruby-fixnum-documentation/

String:

http://raveendran.wordpress.com/2009/03/25/ruby-fixnum-documentation/

Regards,
P.Raveendran
http://raveendran.wordpress.com

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs