Find_usrps "No USRP2 found."

Hi,

I’ve just received my USRP2 and WBX. Using the Ettus SD Card the USRP2
switches on, six LEDs briefly light and then just D and F remain lit.

Connect the USRP2 directly between T61 and USRP2 and both ethernet ports
have a green LED showing a solid light.

GNURadio trunk is installed so I run find_usrps and get this:

[10001]>find_usrps
No USRP2 found.
[100002]>

The second USRP2 ethernet port LED flashes orange when I run find_usrp2.
In WireShark and see a request packet get sent out but get no reply. The
interface is configured as follows:

[10002]>ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1e:37:1e:23:9c
inet6 addr: fe80::21e:37ff:fe1e:239c/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:13234 (12.9 KiB)
Memory:fe000000-fe020000

[100003]>ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
MDI-X: off
Supports Wake-on: pumbag
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000001 (1)
Link detected: yes

Would be grateful for any advice on how to get find_usrps to discover
the device.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve !

Perhaps you’d need to run this before running find_srps :
$ sudo ethtool -A eth0 rx on

I don’t know any longer if you have to run it sudo, and so with
find_usrps

Chris

-------- Message d’origine--------
De: d[email protected]domain.invalid de la
part de Steve G.
Date: sam. 24/04/2010 01:56
À: [email protected]
Objet : [Discuss-gnuradio] find_usrps “No USRP2 found.”

[...]

Also note that with the WBX you’ll need to reflash the firmware on the
SD card with txrx_wbx.bin. But this isn’t the cause of your problem.
You could also try just giving your interface a private ip, ifconfig
eth0 192.168.1.1 and see if that works.

Tim

Steve,

If you have GNUradio trunk installed, did you update your SD card with
a firmware from:

http://gnuradio.org/releases/usrp2-bin/trunk/

You’ll need txrx_wbx.bin

Jason

Discuss-gnuradio mailing list
[email protected]

Steve-

guarantees I lose connectivity. Have removed the power and lid on the
USRP2 and see U12 which is a large-ish package and gingerly touch it. It
is indeed quite hot. Once the device has stopped responding even
removing the power for a few minutes is not enough to make it functional
so a heat-related failure of the PHY chip seems plausible. Before I go
about requesting a return authorization is there any other diagnostic I
can perform?

Many thanks to all (especially Marcus) for your help

U12 is the PHY. PHYs tend to run somewhat hot, so likely what you’re
seeing is Ok. But, with the top off, you could
try pointing a large fan at the chip, and see what happens again from
cold start. If the fan reduces the chip surface
temperature to the point where you can hold your finger there (at least
for 30 sec or so) and you still have the
connectivity issues, then you can rule out a chip/board/heat problem.

That’s not saying something else hasn’t gone wrong with your board, but
it might help you to obtain consistent results
between “cold start” and “warm start” and make it easier to debug.

-Jeff

Jeff B. wrote:

U12 is the PHY. PHYs tend to run somewhat hot, so likely what you’re seeing is Ok. But, with the top off, you could
try pointing a large fan at the chip, and see what happens again from cold start. If the fan reduces the chip surface
temperature to the point where you can hold your finger there (at least for 30 sec or so) and you still have the
connectivity issues, then you can rule out a chip/board/heat problem.

The power has been disconnected for about an hour and I removed the lid,
pointed the fan at the device and powered up. find_usrps fails to see
the device although the link is up and the packets are being sent to it.
I can hold my finger on the chip for no more than 4-5s. I concluded
we’re in dodgy PHY chip territory but Matt has suggested I remove the
WBX daughterboard and see if the USRP2 responds. find_usrps worked for a
few minutes but eventually fails. The unit is now being returned.

Hi,

Further to my problem trying to discover the USRP2. From a cold start
(the USRP2 was left without power since my last posts) I configure the
GigE port using ethtool and enable TX pause frames (this seems to be
necessary magic on my PC). I then run this at the command line:

while true; do clear; find_usrps; sleep 1; done

and watch the output. For the first 30 seconds or so I get the device
MAC address then “No USRP2 found.” From a real cold start this takes a
little longer so I got as far as running usrp2_fft.py -f 925M and that