Finally trying to check in Iron7

Hi All

I’m finally trying to check iron7 into the GitHub

I’ve selected to put it in /Hosts/Silverlight/Iron7 - where it can be a
sibling of WinPhone7 - and I’ve mostly got it building here

However, I’m still hitting the issue that Iron7 has a couple of external
dependencies - System.Windows.Controls.dll from the Silverlight toolkit
and
Newtonsoft.Json.Silverlight.dll from Json.Net - and I really don’t want
remove these from the app (sorry)

I’m really not sure whether to check these in - I’m kind of scared about
messing up your lovely source tree.

Sorry if this sounds “wet”… I’m a long way from being a git or build
tree
expert. Does anyone have a strong feeling about how I should check this
in?
I’m more than a bit tempted just to check this into a new codeplex
project
using MS-PL (or whatever license you would prefer) - someone who knows
their
way around the ironlang source tree can then merge this in if they want
to?

Thanks again for all your fab work on ironruby - still loving coding in
it
:slight_smile:

Stuart

Any external dependencies should go under the Util/ folder. Include
any licenses as well.

Otherwise, just check it in where you see fit and send a pull request.
git is really good at moving files around, so it can easily be
corrected afterwards.

  • Jeff

What is the motivation for including Iron7 to the IronLanguages repo?
Couldn’t it just be a separate github project?

Tomas

I’m finally trying to check iron7 into the GitHub

I’ve selected to put it in /Hosts/Silverlight/Iron7 - where it can be a
sibling of WinPhone7 - and I’ve mostly got it building here

However, I’m still hitting the issue that Iron7 has a couple of external
dependencies - System.Windows.Controls.dll from the Silverlight toolkit
and Newtonsoft.Json.Silverlight.dll from Json.Net - and I really don’t
want to remove these from the app (sorry)

I’m really not sure whether to check these in - I’m kind of scared about
messing up your lovely source tree.

Sorry if this sounds “wet”… I’m a long way from being a git or build
tree expert. Does anyone have a strong feeling about how I should check
this in? I’m more than a bit tempted just to check this into a new
codeplex project using MS-PL (or whatever license you would prefer) -
someone who knows their way around the ironlang source tree can then
merge this in if they want to?

Thanks again for all your fab work on ironruby - still loving coding in
it :slight_smile:

Stuart

Thanks Jeff

I’ve just sent a Pull request - I hope that iron7 is successfully
included
in the Hosts directory.

Included in the source is:

  • my code - Iron7
  • image derived from “Pinwheel Galaxy” on Flickr - used creative commons
  • System.Controls.Windows.dll - which i think is part of Silverlight 4 -
    not
    the toolkit
  • the Bing Maps SL control for Windows Phone - it wasn’t clear to me
    what
    the redist rules were on this dll
  • JSON.Net for SL WindowsPhone - including license

Iron7 itself is a separate solution - it definitely builds in WP7
Release -
alongside IronLanguages SL3 Release

Any problems… you’ve got my email address…

Stuart

P.S The code doesn’t currently contain any copyright headers - I want to
donate the source to IronRuby.net - Apache license sounds OK to me - but
do
intend to keep publishing the app on the Marketplace - not sure if
there’s
any way I can specify that! (No worries if not)