Finally compiled USRP2 code works fine with UDP image.but not with compiled Raw Ethernet Image

Hi all,

I have successfully generated a usrp2 FPGA image in ISE 12.3 (ubuntu
10.10
32 bit version). When I burn my FPGA image with the UDP image (obtained
from
the repository) and I port it everything works fine.
:smiley:

But when I use the FPGA image with the raw ethernet image there is a
problem (F led light glows but D led light doesnt glow). %-|

Please do suggest me a solution to my problem.

–
http://old.nabble.com/Finally-compiled-USRP2-code-works-fine-with-UDP-image-...but-not-with-compiled-Raw-Ethernet-Image-tp30653029p30653029.html

On 01/12/2011 05:13 AM, anirudh2059. wrote:

Please suggest a solution to my problem.

I have said many times that ISE 12.3 works with the UDP version, but not
with the raw ethernet version.

Matt

UDPimage …but not with compiled Raw Ethernet Image

But when I use the FPGA image with the raw ethernet image there is a
problem (F led light glows but D led light doesnt glow). %-|

Please suggest a solution to my problem.

I have said many times that ISE 12.3 works with the UDP version, but not
with the raw ethernet version.

Matt

Matt: If the raw ethernet version can only be compile with ISE 10.1, why
the
bin file on the net is 842.4KB. When I compile the project on ISE10.1,
the
bin file is 837KB

Anirudh: Which repo did you use for the raw ethernet version?

Matt: If the raw ethernet version can only be compile with ISE 10.1, why
the bin file on the net is 842.4KB. When I compile the project on
ISE10.1, the bin file is 837KB

Gabriel,

I can’t follow what you are doing here. Do you want the raw ethernet
version or the udp version? Which version of ISE are you using?

I strongly suggest you pick ONE ISE version and ONE version of the image
that you want, and stop wasting your time and my time with the other
version.

Matt

Matt,

Ok, I will compile the raw ethernet project for the USRP2 to be sure
that I can modify it and use the modified version to my master. I was
try to compile the project fpga.git under ISE10.1 and under ISE12.1.
The two method compile well, give two different size of binary file,
but both don’t work in the USRP2.

From my indirect experience on a non-GnuRadio Xilinx FPGA project,
there’s a bit of a black art to getting apparently-semantically-good
Verilog from the “it compiles”, “it passes timing”, “the simulations
are good”, to actually working on real hardware. Different versions of
the tools use different optimization and placement strategies that
can easily result in a piece of code that “looks good” simply not
mapping onto hardware in a way that will work.

If the software development process worked as poorly as the
Verilog+real-hardware+vendor-blackmagic-tools apparently does, I’d
leave software and take up basket weaving. I admit to having a
certain admiration for the folks in the FPGA/Verilog world who
can stomach the apparent capriciousness of it, and persevere and
produce working hardware. Not for the faint of heart.

–
Marcus L.
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium

UDPimage …but not with compiled Raw Ethernet Image

version or the udp version? Which version of ISE are you using?

I strongly suggest you pick ONE ISE version and ONE version of the image
that you want, and stop wasting your time and my time with the other
version.

Matt

Matt,

Ok, I will compile the raw ethernet project for the USRP2 to be sure
that I
can modify it and use the modified version to my master. I was try to
compile the project fpga.git under ISE10.1 and under ISE12.1. The two
method compile well, give two different size of binary file, but both
don’t
work in the USRP2.

I compared the size of my two binary file with the binary file on the
net,
and the raw ethernet file on the net is the same size than my binary
file
maked under ISE12.1. This is why I ask for anybody to make same
procedure
than me to compare the data. I have to find the way to compile a good
file
of the raw ethernet version.

But after some test, I can affirm that the problem is not the card, not
the
version of ISE and not the radio that I use. The problem can be the
project
under the repo git://ettus.sourcerepo.com/ettus/fpga.git, or maybe it’s
not
the good repo. And it’s not only for me, I think it’s a major bug and
it
needs to be repair.

If you don’t trust me, try it. Use Xilinx on Windows, create a project
and
put in all file of all different makefile in the repo for USRP2 with
u2_rev3.v in top. Implement top module and create the bin file. After,
give me some news plz. It’s not loosing time, nobody had answer to my
question and somebody have same problem than me. Thx a lot.

Gab

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Gabriel Morel
[email protected] wrote:

If you don’t trust me, try it. Use Xilinx on Windows, create a project and
put in all file of all different makefile in the repo for USRP2 with
u2_rev3.v in top. Implement top module and create the bin file. After,
give me some news plz. It’s not loosing time, nobody had answer to my
question and somebody have same problem than me. Thx a lot.

Gab

Instead of creating a new project, have you tried simply using the
supplied Makefile and calling make from cygwin instead? I have never
tried building the image from a Windows install of Xilinx - but in
general the supplied makefile gives Xilinx the correct
optimization/etc. settings to ensure the build works correctly. I’ll
note that while the instructions on
http://www.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/images.html may not be
exactly step by step, they do lay out that the build environment uses
make, and in which directories the corresponding Makefiles can be
found. Examining them will likely be very helpful if you wish to make
modifications to the FPGA image - just as understanding the complete
build environment will be just as important as Verilog/VHDL coding
skills. I have never found that trying to re-create the project in the
Xilinx GUI to be at all useful as far as getting working hardware is
concerned.
Doug

–
Doug G.
[email protected]

On 01/12/2011 12:31 PM, Gabriel Morel wrote:

Ok, I will compile the raw ethernet project for the USRP2 to be sure
that I can modify it and use the modified version to my master. I was
try to compile the project fpga.git under ISE10.1 and under ISE12.1. The
two method compile well, give two different size of binary file, but
both don’t work in the USRP2.

OK, so you chose the raw ethernet version. In reality, that is a bad
choice since all future development is on the other version. But fine,
that is what you chose. So now, stop using ISE 12, since I have told
you that ISE 12 will not work with the raw ethernet version.

I compared the size of my two binary file with the binary file on the
net, and the raw ethernet file on the net is the same size than my
binary file maked under ISE12.1. This is why I ask for anybody to make
same procedure than me to compare the data. I have to find the way to
compile a good file of the raw ethernet version.

File size is meaningless. Use “diff” or “md5sum” to tell if files are
the same or different.

But after some test, I can affirm that the problem is not the card, not
the version of ISE and not the radio that I use. The problem can be the
project under the repo git://ettus.sourcerepo.com/ettus/fpga.git, or
maybe it’s not the good repo. And it’s not only for me, I think it’s a
major bug and it needs to be repair.

There is no bug. I just built it myself and it works just fine. The
bin file should have an md5sum that starts with 3d4a.

If you don’t trust me, try it. Use Xilinx on Windows, create a project
and put in all file of all different makefile in the repo for USRP2 with
u2_rev3.v in top. Implement top module and create the bin file. After,
give me some news plz. It’s not loosing time, nobody had answer to my
question and somebody have same problem than me. Thx a lot.

Well, that is where you are going wrong. Don’t create a project file.
Use the makefile as is. It works fine. The Xilinx tools are very picky
and we have everything set up just right. We also use them under linux
which works much better.

Matt

which works much better.

From last week’s identical discussion:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/804184#972803

Just to place some previous experience I have, if you have diferent
configuration parameters, the hardware, possibly, will not work!!! Same
code
without change nothing, and will not work. This is not a USRP issue,
FPGA
projects can go wrong with diferent parameters for synthesis.

2011/1/12 Matt E. [email protected]

which works much better.

Matt

I tried it with cygwin but it didn’t find ise_helper.tcl. I don’t know
why,
the file is at the good place. Do you have any idea of the problem, I
will
ask somebody else at school.

Gab

I tried it with cygwin but it didn’t find ise_helper.tcl. I don’t know
why, the file is at the good place. Do you have any idea of the
problem, I will ask somebody else at school.

That tells me that xilinx ise “xtclsh” did not know what to do with that
cygwin (unix) file path. That means you probably need to run from
windows command prompt.

-Josh

withUDPimage …but not with compiled Raw Ethernet Image

I tried it with cygwin but it didn’t find ise_helper.tcl. I don’t know
why, the file is at the good place. Do you have any idea of the
problem, I will ask somebody else at school.

That tells me that xilinx ise “xtclsh” did not know what to do with that
cygwin (unix) file path. That means you probably need to run from
windows command prompt.

Do you know the command on the prompt because make don’t works.

Do you know the command on the prompt because make don’t works.

what error are you getting? Don’t say “command not found”.

cd \usrp2\top\u2_rev3

#makes an ise project file
make proj

#makes the bin file
make bin

I had try ‘make’ in commad prompt of windows but ‘command not found’, i
had
try it in cygwin but problem with ise_helper.tcl. I’m trying with
gnumake
but I don’t understand how to work with it for the moment. I know you
don’t
have to teach me how to use somethings like this, but do you have any
idea
what can I do.

If it’s not the makefile that block me to compile a fonctionnal bin
file,
can it be the seed in ISE. Because i had read the makefile and it don’t
configure some variables that could caused my problem. I already
initialized all the variables in the makefile but the binary file
doesn’t
work. I really have trouble to understanding what works wrong.

Can you donwload the same project than me, recompile it, test it and
tell me
step by step what you did please. If you do that and if all works fine
for
you, I will stop to send message about that.

Thank you

Gabriel