File size of web-based flv. Reading some bytes from a web-based file

This is such a noobie question.

I have a file,
http://www.ultradedup.com/videolib/One-minute-commercial-027.flv

I want to do two simple things:

  1. I want to get the file size.

  2. I want to read a few hundred bytes from the beginning of the file so
    as to pick up te flv’s time duration.

Are there RoR and/or Ruby facilities to do this?

Ralph S.

Well the File lass has a size method and you can open files and read
them with sysread which is available in the IO class (which you get
when you open a file)

Also this has nothing to do with RoR

Peter,

Tuesday, January 3, 2012, 2:37:35 AM, you wrote:

PH> Well the File lass has a size method and you can open files and read
PH> them with sysread which is available in the IO class (which you get
PH> when you open a file)

PH> Also this has nothing to do with RoR

At least on my machine

C:\Users\Ralph>irb
irb(main):001:0>
File.size(‘c:/RailsInstaller/Sites/ultradedup002/app/views/usage/VideoTutorials.html.haml’)
=> 32406
irb(main):002:0>
File.size(‘http://www.ultradedup.com/videolib/One-minute-commercial-027.flv’)
Errno::EINVAL: Invalid argument -
http://www.ultradedup.com/videolib/One-minute-commercial-027.flv
from (irb):2:in size' from (irb):2 from C:/RailsInstaller/Ruby1.9.2/bin/irb:12:in
irb(main):003:0>

So File.size() seems to work on local files and not web-based files.

I’ll take this to the ruby chat list.

Ralph S.

Hi Ralphs,
just use these
response = http.request_head(RemoteAddress)
file_size = response[‘content-length’]

Josh Software Private Limited http://www.joshsoftware.com

6, Thube Park,
Shivaji Nagar,