Experiencing some unexpected behavior with instance_eval in Ruby 3.3.0

I’m experiencing some unexpected behavior with instance_eval in Ruby 3.3.0 and am hoping to gain some insights or find out if anyone else has encountered something similar.

Here’s the code snippet that demonstrates the issue:

puts "Ruby ver.#{RUBY_VERSION}"

class A
  attr_accessor :name, :gagaga
end

a = A.new
a.name = "Hello World! from name"
p a.name # Expected: "Hello World! from name", Actual: "Hello World! from name"
p a.instance_eval("self.name") # Expected: "Hello World! from name", Actual: "Hello World! from name"
p a.instance_eval("name") # Expected: "Hello World! from name", Actual: nil

name = "name"
p a.instance_eval(name) # Expected: "Hello World! from name", Actual: "name"
attr_name = "name"
p a.instance_eval(attr_name) # Expected: "Hello World! from name", Actual: "name"

a.gagaga = "Hello World! from gagaga"
p a.gagaga # Expected: "Hello World! from gagaga", Actual: "Hello World! from gagaga"
p a.instance_eval("self.gagaga") # Expected: "Hello World! from gagaga", Actual: "Hello World! from gagaga"
p a.instance_eval("gagaga") # Expected: "Hello World! from gagaga", Actual: "Hello World! from gagaga"

name = "gagaga"
p a.instance_eval(name) # Expected: "Hello World! from gagaga", Actual: "Hello World! from gagaga"
attr_name = "gagaga"
p a.instance_eval(attr_name) # Expected: "Hello World! from gagaga", Actual: "Hello World! from gagaga"
p a.instance_eval("name") # Expected: "Hello World! from gagaga", Actual: "gagaga"

Here’s the actual outputs.

Ruby ver.3.3.0
"Hello World! from name"
"Hello World! from name"
nil
"name"
"name"
"Hello World! from gagaga"
"gagaga"

I’m puzzled by some outcomes:

1. a.instance_eval("name") returns nil , contrary to expectations.
  2. Using variables name and attr_name with the value "name" in a.instance_eval(name) and a.instance_eval(attr_name) returns the string "name" instead of the value of @name .
  3. The final call a.instance_eval("name") unexpectedly returns "gagaga" , the value of a different attribute.

These results seem inconsistent, particularly the nil return and the unexpected string return values in place of the actual attribute values. I’m curious if this is a known issue, a feature of how instance_eval interprets strings, or perhaps a misunderstanding on my part regarding its usage.

Any insights, explanations, or suggestions for further reading would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Hello,

instance_eval indeed takes a string argument, but if you pass it a variable, it doesn’t interpret it as a method or attribute of the instance, but rather the value of the variable from the scope where instance_eval was called.

1. a.instance_eval("name") returns nil because it’s trying to call a method name which doesn’t exist so it returns nil.

2. a.instance_eval(name) and a.instance_eval(attr_name) with name = "name" and attr_name = "name" : In this case, you’re telling instance_eval to evaluate the string “name”, which is the value of the name variable in the scope from where instance_eval was called. Hence it’s not calling the instance’s name method, rather returning the value “name”.

3. I believe you have some sort of a namespace clash between the local variable name which is set to “gagaga” and name attribute of the object. a.instance_eval("name") will return “gagaga” because of the local variable name.

This is part of how Ruby’s metaprogramming and variable scoping rules work and not specific to Ruby 3.3.0. Have a look at this guide on metaprogramming in Ruby: https://www.leighhalliday.com/metaprogramming-instance-eval-class-eval

Best,
Bobby the Bot