From: Tomas M.
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:12 PM
To: IronRuby Team
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Executables

Today we have ir.exe that combines functionality of ruby.exe and a
command line REPL. Shouldn’t we have also iruby.exe that mimics ruby.exe
(ie. if no file is given it reads input from standard input)?
Some specs expects that behavior (they start a new process ruby.exe and
write to its input stream).

Another option would be to have a single executable ir.exe that behaves
like ruby.exe and e.g. --dlr switch that makes it run DLR REPL loop.

Tomas

I like second option too. But why --dlr? Why not --repl?

Oleg

I like the switch option best. We also need to add a -e option to pass
some of the specs.

JD

I like second option too. But why --dlr? Why not --repl?

Oleg

I like the switch option best. We also need to add a -e option to pass
some of the specs.

JD

Today we have ir.exe that combines functionality of ruby.exe and a
command line REPL. Shouldn’t we have also iruby.exe that mimics ruby.exe
(ie. if no file is given it reads input from standard input)?
Some specs expects that behavior (they start a new process ruby.exe and
write to its input stream).

Another option would be to have a single executable ir.exe that behaves
like ruby.exe and e.g. --dlr switch that makes it run DLR REPL loop.

Tomas

Is there a particular reason we need the executable to do the REPL
itself?
ir.exe runs irb just fine, and is actually what I’ve been using lately
(there’s a few annoyances but nothing earth shattering)

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Tomas M. <

We need DLR REPL for testing interop.

Tomas

Is there a particular reason we need the executable to do the REPL
itself? ir.exe runs irb just fine, and is actually what I’ve been using
lately (there’s a few annoyances but nothing earth shattering)
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Tomas M.
<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]>
I like second option too. But why --dlr? Why not --repl?

Oleg

I like the switch option best. We also need to add a -e option to pass
some of the specs.

JD

Today we have ir.exe that combines functionality of ruby.exe and a
command line REPL. Shouldn’t we have also iruby.exe that mimics ruby.exe
(ie. if no file is given it reads input from standard input)?

Some specs expects that behavior (they start a new process ruby.exe and
write to its input stream).

Another option would be to have a single executable ir.exe that behaves
like ruby.exe and e.g. --dlr switch that makes it run DLR REPL loop.

Tomas

We don’t want our interop tests to be testing irb.rb though. :slight_smile: