Exception: can't convert nil into String

Hello,
I’m going nuts trying to figure out what’s wrong with this script.
Here’s the top part of my code, where it’s failing:

require ‘rubygems’
require ‘fileutils’
require ‘net/ftp’

Dir.chdir(“F:/workflows/graphics/asura-post/vijay/in”)
if Dir.glob("*.pdf").length == 0 then
exit
end
pdffile = ARGV[0]
FileUtils.cp(pdffile, “//mako/archive/vijay”)
FileUtils.mv(pdffile, “…/scratch”)

It’s failing on the simple first FileUtils.cp line. It says “uncaught
exception: can’t convert nil into String.”

The script acts on the first file it sees in the network folder.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Peter

You don’t set the pdffile variable anywhere.

– Matma R.

Bartosz Dziewoński wrote in post #1082535:

You don’t set the pdffile variable anywhere.

?

He sets it to ARGV[0]. Perhaps he ran the script without providing an
argument?

I have no idea why he’s globbing *.pdf and then ignoring the results
though.

2012/11/2 Brian C. [email protected]:

Bartosz Dziewoński wrote in post #1082535:

You don’t set the pdffile variable anywhere.

?

He sets it to ARGV[0]. Perhaps he ran the script without providing an
argument?

Ugh, that’s right, sorry. I don’t know why I missed it; perhaps I
should try reading more carefully :confused:

– Matma R.

Bartosz Dziewoński wrote in post #1082544:

2012/11/2 Brian C. [email protected]:

Bartosz Dziewoński wrote in post #1082535:

You don’t set the pdffile variable anywhere.

?

He sets it to ARGV[0]. Perhaps he ran the script without providing an
argument?

Ugh, that’s right, sorry. I don’t know why I missed it; perhaps I
should try reading more carefully :confused:

– Matma R.

Thanks for your responses. I defined the variable with the ARGV,
correct. I’m globbing PDFs just to see if there are any PDFs. If there
aren’t any, then, I exit the script. This script only works on PDFs, in
that folder. I run this script, along with many, many other scripts like
it, with a scheduling utility called ActiveBatch. I’ve told that
scheduling utility to fire this script when there’s one PDF, at least,
in the folder. So, yes, the ARGV[0] stands for the one file at a time
way of executing against one or more PDF files. Thanks.

On 05.11.2012 13:01, Peter B. wrote:

that folder. I run this script, along with many, many other scripts
like
it, with a scheduling utility called ActiveBatch. I’ve told that
scheduling utility to fire this script when there’s one PDF, at
least,
in the folder. So, yes, the ARGV[0] stands for the one file at a time
way of executing against one or more PDF files. Thanks.

As Brian says it looks like ARGV[0] is not getting set (i.e.
ActiveBatch is running it without an argument). It’s a bit confusing
because you say this will only be run if there are one or more pdf
files, but then explicitly test for whether there are any files - is it
just belt and braces? Is this (untested obvs.) snippet equivalent to
what you want?

require ‘rubygems’
require ‘fileutils’
require ‘net/ftp’

Dir.chdir(“F:/workflows/graphics/asura-post/vijay/in”)

pdffiles = Dir.glob("*.pdf")
exit if pdffiles.length == 0

FileUtils.cp(pdffiles[0], “//mako/archive/vijay”)
FileUtils.mv(pdffiles[0], “…/scratch”)

Alex G. wrote in post #1082939:

On 05.11.2012 13:01, Peter B. wrote:

that folder. I run this script, along with many, many other scripts
like
it, with a scheduling utility called ActiveBatch. I’ve told that
scheduling utility to fire this script when there’s one PDF, at
least,
in the folder. So, yes, the ARGV[0] stands for the one file at a time
way of executing against one or more PDF files. Thanks.

As Brian says it looks like ARGV[0] is not getting set (i.e.
ActiveBatch is running it without an argument). It’s a bit confusing
because you say this will only be run if there are one or more pdf
files, but then explicitly test for whether there are any files - is it
just belt and braces? Is this (untested obvs.) snippet equivalent to
what you want?

require ‘rubygems’
require ‘fileutils’
require ‘net/ftp’

Dir.chdir(“F:/workflows/graphics/asura-post/vijay/in”)

pdffiles = Dir.glob("*.pdf")
exit if pdffiles.length == 0

FileUtils.cp(pdffiles[0], “//mako/archive/vijay”)
FileUtils.mv(pdffiles[0], “…/scratch”)

OK. Well, I’ve discovered that this script actually runs just fine in
the command shell. But, it doesn’t run inside my Ruby editor. I get the
“nil” error when I run the script inside my Ruby editor. But, if I go
to the command shell with a PDF file in that directory and run the
script, it runs fine. So, I’ve sent an e-mail to my Ruby editor folks.
Thanks.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs