Eruby binaries for mswin32

Could anyone help me find a mswin32 binary of eruby? I must develop on
Windows but don’t have a C compiler to create my own eruby binaries from
the source code. I’ve tried the “one-click” RubyInstaller but it
doesn’t have eruby. I’ve googled and googled but have only found others
who are asking for the same thing. Thanks in advance.

Why do I need this? I’d creating a web site using .rhtml. My hosting
service (textdrive.com) is setup to process .rhtml with eruby. I need
to recreate that on my only available development box, Windows (so
suggestions to use other alternatives (like erb) are not really what I’m
looking for).

I don’t understand why you can’t use ERB. It may be that there are no
eRuby binaries for Windows because the fact is, for development, ERB
is Good Enough ™.

Matthew H. wrote:

I don’t understand why you can’t use ERB. It may be that there are no
eRuby binaries for Windows because the fact is, for development, ERB
is Good Enough ™.

Matthew, thanks for your response. One of the main reasons I don’t
believe ERB is Good Enough as a substitute in development for eruby in
production is that I use “ERuby.import” to import the page’s layout.
For example:

% def Area1()

Unique stuff for Area 1 of this specific page.

% end % def Area2()

Unique stuff for Area 2 of this specific page.

% end %# (etc, etc, for all the Areas on the page) % ERuby.import('layout3.rhtml')

where layout3.rhtml will output most of the HTML including the page’s
layout structure calling methods Area1 and Area2 at the appropriate
places in embed the page’s unique content. I have many many pages that
share just a few page layouts such as layout3.rhtml. If I need to
change a layout, I have only one file to update. This technique is very
convenient, worked very well in PHP for the web site I’m now converting
to .rhtml, and works very well with ERuby. To make it work in ERB, I
believe I’d have to do it differently for ERB than ERuby (no
ERuby.import!) … which means I couldn’t promote the files to my
production server (which is a hosting service *nix box configured to
process .rhtml with eruby).

Wilson B. wrote:

I just built this using the free version of Visual C 2k3.
I’ve never used ERuby, so don’t bet your business on this, but it runs
the examples that come with ERuby 1.0.5:
http://supremetyrant.com/ruby/eruby.zip

Woo-hoo!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. It works … including my
beloved ERuby.import.

Are you using Rails? I think that the code you pasted looks really
un-Ruby-ish, and you could really clean it up via content_for, or
something similar.

Nope, not using Rails … yet! This is the first web site I’m rubifying
from PHP. It’s a “pseudo-dynamic” static web site which means no
database, pure .rhtml (formerly .php) files, with a sprinkling of
“showUntil(20060701)” and “pictureOfTheDay()” type functions/methods to
make it look like it changes every day or so even though it’s really
updated only once every couple of weeks.

Once I’ve learned enough Ruby, I’ll tackle Rails … and will definitely
look up content_for and strive to produce more Ruby-ish and less rubbish
code :slight_smile:

On 6/26/06, Don P. [email protected] wrote:

looking for).

I just built this using the free version of Visual C 2k3.
I’ve never used ERuby, so don’t bet your business on this, but it runs
the examples that come with ERuby 1.0.5:
http://supremetyrant.com/ruby/eruby.zip

Are you using Rails? I think that the code you pasted looks really
un-Ruby-ish, and you could really clean it up via content_for, or
something similar.

That being said, I hope that library works for you. Just unzip it
into your ruby folder (e.g. c:\ruby), and it should be ready to roll.

–Wilson.

Wilson B. wrote in post #97489:

On 6/26/06, Don P. [email protected] wrote:

looking for).

I just built this using the free version of Visual C 2k3.
I’ve never used ERuby, so don’t bet your business on this, but it runs
the examples that come with ERuby 1.0.5:
http://supremetyrant.com/ruby/eruby.zip

Are you using Rails? I think that the code you pasted looks really
un-Ruby-ish, and you could really clean it up via content_for, or
something similar.

That being said, I hope that library works for you. Just unzip it
into your ruby folder (e.g. c:\ruby), and it should be ready to roll.

–Wilson.

Thanks a lot, i was searching a binary for eruby, and i was sure to have
seen it somewhere. Now i know where it was, thank you.

Javier A…

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs