Error with openssl in 1.8.4 on XP?

I’ve been trying to consume a SOAP service using ruby, which should be
simple enough, but I need to work across Https and there seems to be no
way to do this currently.

The only message I get is OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError and then a stack trace
that leads back into http.rb line 588, which is where it asks the socket
to connect. There is no informative error message and the problem
appears to be in the binary rather than in the ruby source.

In the last few days of beating my head against the wall over this one
I’ve found various discussions that suggest there is a problem with
openSSL on the Windows version of 1.8.4 - I have only managed to get
anything working when I tried it on my Debian Box, running 1.8.2 - I
don’t know if it’s the version or the Debian but I can make https
requests successfully from there. Solutions I’ve seen suggested have
included rolling back to 1.8.2 and erasing old versions of the libraries
in the /site_ruby/ directory. The latter doesn’t work, the former I’d
prefer to avoid if possible.

I was wondering if anyone has come up with an authoritative solution to
this, or a handy quick-fix? If not, where should I be going to file a
bug report?

ben moxon wrote:

I’ve been trying to consume a SOAP service using ruby, which should be
simple enough, but I need to work across Https and there seems to be no
way to do this currently.

The only message I get is OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError and then a stack trace
that leads back into http.rb line 588, which is where it asks the socket
to connect. There is no informative error message and the problem
appears to be in the binary rather than in the ruby source.

In the last few days of beating my head against the wall over this one
I’ve found various discussions that suggest there is a problem with
openSSL on the Windows version of 1.8.4 - I have only managed to get
anything working when I tried it on my Debian Box, running 1.8.2 - I
don’t know if it’s the version or the Debian but I can make https
requests successfully from there. Solutions I’ve seen suggested have
included rolling back to 1.8.2 and erasing old versions of the libraries
in the /site_ruby/ directory. The latter doesn’t work, the former I’d
prefer to avoid if possible.

I was wondering if anyone has come up with an authoritative solution to
this, or a handy quick-fix? If not, where should I be going to file a
bug report?

I’ve filed a bug report, here is a convenient sample that shows the
problem:

require ‘http-access2’

def check_uri_request(uriText)
clnt=HTTPAccess2::Client.new
clnt.ssl_config.verify_mode=OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_NONE
puts clnt.get_content(uriText)
end

check_uri_request(‘https://adwords.google.co.uk/select/steps.html’)

I’m using http-access2 because the net/http and open-uri stuff kept
dying before it even got to ssl.

Definitely a problem with 1.8.4 on Windows XP - 1.8.2 works fine and
even open-uri fails nicely pointing out that it doesn’t support https. I
havent tried it with 1.8.4 on any other platforms yet.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs