Error When Trying To Install a Gem

Hello,
I’m trying to install the zlib and the simpleton gems in my Linux
Ubuntu, but recently i’ve changed my Ubuntu version, then i installed
rubygems version 0.9.4-4, but when i try to install this gems i’m
getting this error:

=====================================
ubuntu@eeepc:~$ sudo gem install zlib
/usr/bin/gem:10: undefined method `manage_gems’ for Gem:Module
(NoMethodError)
ubuntu@eeepc:~$

What is wrong?

Thanks,
Nathan Paulino Campos

On Sep 2, 6:49 pm, Nathan C. [email protected] wrote:

ubuntu@eeepc:~$

What is wrong?

  • There is no gem “zlib”
  • Ubuntu had patched and modified RubyGems to install gems using their
    layout, you have two options:

A) Update Ubuntu RubyGems package
B) Uninstall it and manually install RubyGems on top.

Ask the uncle google about this, there are several users with similar
issues and their own solutions.

  • manage_gem has been deprecated several versions ago, the issue you
    see means somehow you “gem” script has become stalled or other issues
    due some upgrade.

HTH,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Datum: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 01:49:29 +0900
Von: Nathan C. [email protected]
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Error When Trying To Install a Gem

ubuntu@eeepc:~$

What is wrong?

Dear Nathan,

there is no zlib gem:

gem install zlib

ERROR: could not find gem zlib locally or in a repository

Do you mean the (external) zlib library ?
You can install it in Ubuntu like so:

sudo aptitude install zlib1g
sudo aptitude install zlib1g-dev

(see here: http://forum.webbynode.com/topic.php?id=56 )

Best regards,

Axel

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Datum: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 01:49:29 +0900
Von: Nathan C. [email protected]
An: [email protected]

ubuntu@eeepc:~$

What is wrong?

Dear Nathan,

there is no zlib gem:

gem install zlib

ERROR: could not find gem zlib locally or in a repository

Do you mean the (external) zlib library ?
You can install it in Ubuntu like so:

sudo aptitude install zlib1g
sudo aptitude install zlib1g-dev

(see here: http://forum.webbynode.com/topic.php?id=56 )

Best regards,

Axel

Hello Axel,
Thanks, now i’ve installed the runygems and the zlib1g, but how i can
install simpleton, because i’m trying to use the rubyzip gem, but it one
of the requirements.

Thanks,
Nathan Paulino Campos

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Datum: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 09:06:03 +0900
Von: Nathan C. [email protected]
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: Error When Trying To Install a Gem

What is wrong?
You can install it in Ubuntu like so:
Hello Axel,
Thanks, now i’ve installed the runygems and the zlib1g, but how i can
install simpleton, because i’m trying to use the rubyzip gem, but it one
of the requirements.

Thanks,
Nathan Paulino Campos

You can install rubyzip right away, gem install will offer to install
any
dependencies, if they are not yet installed.

Best regards,

Axel