ERROR: could not find gem rmagick locally or in a repository


#1

Hi,

I’m trying to install the

RMagick 2.7.1 (ImageMagick 6.4.5-3) Win32 Installation

got here http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=12&a … e_id=27880

I’m following the steps but can’t find the gem rmagick locally. I
exctracted the zip to D:\InstantRails\rMagick

and when I run update

gem update --system
Updating RubyGems
Nothing to update

it says that there is nothing to update.

I’m running a Windows XP with Ruby 1.8

What can I do?

Cheers

Adam


#2

On 17 Nov 2008, at 07:20, Adam M. wrote:

exctracted the zip to D:\InstantRails\rMagick

and when I run update

gem update --system
Updating RubyGems
Nothing to update

That command is just for updating rubygems itself. does
gem install rmagick
not work ?

Fred


#3

Frederick C. wrote:

On 17 Nov 2008, at 07:20, Adam M. wrote:

exctracted the zip to D:\InstantRails\rMagick

and when I run update

gem update --system
Updating RubyGems
Nothing to update

That command is just for updating rubygems itself. does
gem install rmagick
not work ?

Fred

Hi Fred,

if I type in

gem install rmagick

I get

uilding native extensions. This could take a while…
ERROR: Error installing rmagick:
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

D:/InstantRails/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install rmagick

This rmagick gem is for use only on Linux, BSD, OS X, and similar
systems.
Use the rmagick-win32 gem to install RMagick on Windows.
See http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-faq.html for more information.
*** extconf.rb failed ***
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
–with-opt-dir
–without-opt-dir
–with-opt-include
–without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
–with-opt-lib
–without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
–with-make-prog
–srcdir=.
–curdir
–ruby=D:/InstantRails/ruby/bin/ruby

Gem files will remain installed in
D:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-2.7.2 for
inspection.
Results logged to
D:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-2.7.2/ext/RMagick/gem_make.out

If I type in

gem install rmagick-win32

it says

ERROR: could not find gem rmagick-win32 locally or in a repository

I know that I need the windows version. I already downloaded it, but I
don’t know where to put the gem file to make ruby find it locally. I put
it to

D:\InstantRails\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rmagick-2.7.1-x86-mswin32.gem

hmm, no clue…


#4

download the rmagick + imageMagick from
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/46136/RMagick-2.7.1-ImageMagick-6.4.5-3-Q8.zip

extract it let say d:\rmagick

First install the imageMagick then go to command prompt into the same
directory
then type
d:\rmagick>gem install rmagick_file_name.gem

Thats it…

Regards
Abhishek

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Frederick C. <


#5

On 17 Nov 2008, at 12:16, Adam M. wrote:

I know that I need the windows version. I already downloaded it, but I
don’t know where to put the gem file to make ruby find it locally. I
put
it to

Ah the joys of windows. It doesn’t matter where you download the gem
to - it just needs to be in the current folder at the point that you
type

gem install file-name-of-gem

Fred