Edge rails: `scan': undefined method `empty?' for nil:NilCla

Anybody possibly know what’s going on?

upgrading my existing rails app to edge results in this error

thoughts?

/Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/1.8/erb.rb:469:in
scan': undefined methodempty?’ for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/1.8/erb.rb:525:in
compile' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/1.8/erb.rb:692:ininitialize’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/template_handlers/erb.rb:51:in
new' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/template_handlers/erb.rb:51:incompile’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/template_handler.rb:11:in
call' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/renderable.rb:21:in_unmemoized_compiled_source’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/memoizable.rb:53:in
compiled_source' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/memoizable.rb:21:insend
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/memoizable.rb:21:in
memoize_all' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/memoizable.rb:18:ineach’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/memoizable.rb:18:in
memoize_all' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/memoizable.rb:13:infreeze’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/paths.rb:88:in
reload!' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/paths.rb:102:intemplates_in_path’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/paths.rb:100:in
each' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/paths.rb:100:intemplates_in_path’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/paths.rb:86:in
reload!' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/paths.rb:78:inload’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/paths.rb:109:in
load' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/paths.rb:109:ineach’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/paths.rb:109:in
load' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:350:inload_view_paths’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/config/…/vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:177:in
process' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:110:insend’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/config/…/vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:110:in
run' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/degreesearch/config/environment.rb:15 from /Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:ingem_original_require’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
require' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/thin-0.8.2/lib/rack/adapter/rails.rb:31:inload_application’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/thin-0.8.2/lib/rack/adapter/rails.rb:23:in
initialize' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/thin-0.8.2/lib/rack/adapter/loader.rb:32:innew’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/thin-0.8.2/lib/rack/adapter/loader.rb:32:in
for' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/thin-0.8.2/lib/thin/controllers/controller.rb:162:inload_adapter’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/thin-0.8.2/lib/thin/controllers/controller.rb:66:in
start' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/thin-0.8.2/lib/thin/runner.rb:166:insend’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/thin-0.8.2/lib/thin/runner.rb:166:in
run_command' from /Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/thin-0.8.2/lib/thin/runner.rb:136:inrun!’
from
/Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/thin-0.8.2/bin/thin:6
from /Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/bin/thin:20:in `load’
from /Users/rogerpack/dev/ruby_186_installed/bin/thin:20

I’ve been seeing the same problem when trying to upgrade an application
from Rails 2.1.2 to 2.2.2. I had set up a controller to serve static
content wrapped in the site’s template. One of the users dropped some
JPEG files into the /app/views/static directory, and that seems to be
jamming up the works with 2.2.2.

Now I know how to solve the problem (by removing the the non-.html.erb
files), but I’m wondering why there is a difference between 2.1.2 and

–jeff

Now I know how to solve the problem (by removing the the non-.html.erb
files), but I’m wondering why there is a difference between 2.1.2 and

Theoretically it was to allow for all the erb templates to be loaded up
once at load time [it just happens to attempt this weirdness with non
erb files, too…I’m not sure if it’s a bug or not…I believe I filed a
report of it on lighthouse].
Cheers!
-=R

Is there any way to exclude certain template file types (or non-
template files) from being preloaded, say by their file type?
Specifically, I was thinking of jpeg, swf files, etc. which we do not
(!) wish to be loaded/parsed at startup time.
Could there be a configuration option which handles this?

On Nov 30 2008, 7:38 am, Roger P. [email protected]

Yitzhak Bar G. wrote:

Is there any way to exclude certain template file types (or non-
template files) from being preloaded, say by their file type?
Specifically, I was thinking of jpeg, swf files, etc. which we do not
(!) wish to be loaded/parsed at startup time.
Could there be a configuration option which handles this?

I think that trunk was updated recently to handle them better [i.e. only .rhtml → compile].

http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/1187-binary-files-are-attempted-to-be-pre-compiled-as-erb#ticket-1187-2

GL!