Dynamic Proxy Passing

Hello,

I have a situation where a server needs to proxy to a variable backend
depending on the URI.

I use x-accel-redirect to a URI like /files/serverX/fileY;

I then need my server to proxy_pass to serverX.domain.com/fileY; and
return this data to the user.

There will be multiple servers with this so something where I need to
update the configuration when I add a new serverX would be somewhat
undesirable.

Question is, what’s the best way to go about this?

Posted at Nginx Forum:

This is just conceptual but you could try (if the ‘serverX’ is like a
prefix
for a subdomain):

location ~ /files/(.)/(.) {
proxy_pass http://$1.domain.com/$2;
}

This way you just need also to define a resolver (
Module ngx_http_core_module ) if your hosts are
not
defined in upstream{} block or IPs.

rr