Documenting Networking in Ruby. Any volunteer

Team,

Is there a good book exclusively devoted to Networking in Ruby?

As I continue learning and struggling on my journey to become a Rubyst
(is
it Rubist?), I noticed that my suffering could be lessen if I could put
my
hands on a good Ruby book exclusively dedicated to networking.
Something like “Networking in Ruby” or “Ruby in a Networked World” or
something to that effect. That book would collect all the current
knowledge
in network programming, as it relates to Ruby:

  1. Sockets - This would describe all type of socket programming.
  2. HTTP with all its variations.
  3. Threads as it relates to Inter-Process Communications.
  4. NET
  5. SSL
  6. SSH
  7. FTP
  8. EventMachine
  9. GServer
  10. DB (DB2, Oracle, PostGres, MySql) communications.
  11. …and everything else I missed here, which I bet is more than
    what I
    listed here!

To be successful and useful the book must go beyond what’s covered on
RDoc.
It should have myriads of examples for people that learn by example,
like I.
The book should also cover the major platforms *NIX, Mac, Wintel.
It should also cover networking on small devices such as cell phones,
etc. I
think all the info is already loosely available and it is just matter of
putting things together.

I might be asking for too much!

Any comments!

Thanks you

Victor

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Victor R. wrote:

|
| To be successful and useful the book must go beyond what’s covered on
RDoc.
| It should have myriads of examples for people that learn by example,
like I.
| The book should also cover the major platforms *NIX, Mac, Wintel.
| It should also cover networking on small devices such as cell phones,
etc. I
| think all the info is already loosely available and it is just matter of
| putting things together.

Have you looked at The Ruby Way by Hal F.? While it doesn’t cover
networking exclusively, it does cover a big part of it, and loads of
other Ruby-related stuff (you should buy it anyway ;).


Phillip G.
Twitter: twitter.com/cynicalryan
Blog: http://justarubyist.blogspot.com

~ - You know you’ve been hacking too long when…
…you want to retract something said in haste, and think C-a [email protected] C-e
C-w
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkhS0QUACgkQbtAgaoJTgL9VywCfSOGdv4nmzGq0t43TxPs+EXzt
04oAn33KrycJObcY5WQrey1UBLGK6BiT
=ku6c
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

2008/6/13, Victor R. [email protected]:

in network programming, as it relates to Ruby:
9. GServer
It should also cover networking on small devices such as cell phones, etc.

Victor

Well, it’s not possible to cover all what you are looking for in one
book.
Probably one for each section should do the job.

On 13 Jun 2008, at 20:39, Victor R. wrote:

Is there a good book exclusively devoted to Networking in Ruby?

Not yet, although you can piece bits and bobs together from The Ruby
Way, the Pickaxe and a few other sources. Most of the time I rely on
google but even there documentation and tutorials are less
comprehensive than a beginner would need which is a great pity, all
things considered.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason

On 15 Jun 2008, at 12:50, Victor R. wrote:

  • Eleanor McHugh*: This is what I am talking about. There is no real
    documentation even on the web. I, a beginner, rely on my books
    (which fall
    short) and on the Ruby Q/A Forum. You answered some of my questions
    before
    about GServer.

Probably quite inaccurately as I’ve pieced together all of my
knowledge about Ruby networking from direct experimentation, the few
tutorials on the web and reading the source code. The fact that I’ve
written network code in other languages made this fairly easy for me,
but I dread to think how a beginner coming to Ruby without that
background would make any headway.

At some point I will write up my research in detail and publishing it
online, but time is the one resource I never seem to have enough of…

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Eleanor McHugh <
[email protected]> wrote:

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason

  • Phillip G.*: I actually have 1rst and 2nd Editions of The Ruby
    Way.
    I also have Programming Ruby, Ruby in nutshell, the new book by Matz and
    Flannagan, and at least another dozen Ruby books.
    None of these books go beyond briefly proving the same basic examples of
    TCP
    Client/Server and UDP, and some a bit of Socket programming. I heard of
    GServer from a book I just purchase from a British guy (Sorry forgot the
    name and I don’t have the book with me) which I think is entitle
    Beginner
    Ruby.

Oscar Del B.: Well, I know it is a large subject, however, if you
take
for example the length of The Ruby Way or Programming Ruby or the new
Matz
book, Etc., a book of that size dedicated to the subjects I mentioned
above
I think would make it a hit. Think about it, a one stop shop for all
your
networking needs, in Ruby of course!

  • Eleanor McHugh*: This is what I am talking about. There is no real
    documentation even on the web. I, a beginner, rely on my books (which
    fall
    short) and on the Ruby Q/A Forum. You answered some of my questions
    before
    about GServer.

In addition to network programming, you look around and will find the
same
issues with a different subject: GUI Programming in Ruby.
If you wc -w the number of times the word GUI appears on this forum
you
can easily conclude that the subject is controversial and not well
organized. You have tons of GUI tools out there for Ruby but we don’t
know
how to or where to find it. Once you find, then the problem is
documentation.

I think there is a vacuum for a:

  1. An excellent Networking Ruby book.
  2. An excellent Ruby GUI Programming book.

Seriously team, there are lots of people like me that learn by example.
The
only time I go to the forum is when I tried everything else (my
extensive
ruby library, google, Etc.).

Oh well, I guess I am dreaming, but this does not have to be a project
for
one person. By reading the posts on this forum and have observed very
clever
people who can not just write code, but they can also explain it. With
permissions of the different forum collaborators, one can get examples
from
the forum, clean them and test them and publish a nice book. Examples in
the
book would acknowledge the forum collaborator(s) of such example(s).

Best regards,

Victor

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Eleanor McHugh <
[email protected]> wrote:

web and reading the source code. The fact that I’ve written network code in
Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason

Ellie,

Actually, your code works fine, at least for what I needed it for.
I’ll be looking forward to reading and learning from your publication,
when
it comes out!

Thank you and everyone for the help and support you guys provide daily.

Victor

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Michael G. [email protected]
wrote:

my

  1. NET

You might want to check out the Ruby Cookbook. While it doesn’t cover
everything you mentioned, it does provide great examples for the areas it
does cover.

Michael G.

Michael,

You are correct. The book is large, but it only covers a minute number
of
the items I mentioned. But it makes a reasonable reference.
Ruby Cookbook
By: Lucas Carlson & Leonard Richardson
Which has 23 chapters and around 823 pages.

I browsed the book on the web at:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ANP-fUv3WTYC&dq="ruby+cookbook"&pg=PP1&ots=FSKydVMJvS&sig=7bmMXKRHnNQRlexm-Srsll-z-TY&hl=en&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3D%22Ruby%2BCookbook%22%26btnG%3DSearch&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail#PPR17,M1

I just purchased the new book by Flannagan and Matz for reference. It is
actually a very nice book, which, of course is for documenting the Ruby
language. Therefore you will not find networking there.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Victor

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Victor R. [email protected]
wrote:

  1. DB (DB2, Oracle, PostGres, MySql) communications.
    think all the info is already loosely available and it is just matter of
    putting things together.

You might want to check out the Ruby Cookbook. While it doesn’t cover
everything you mentioned, it does provide great examples for the areas
it
does cover.

Michael G.

Victor R. wrote:

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Michael G. [email protected]
wrote:

my

  1. NET

You might want to check out the Ruby Cookbook. While it doesn’t cover
everything you mentioned, it does provide great examples for the areas it
does cover.

Michael G.

Michael,

You are correct. The book is large, but it only covers a minute number
of
the items I mentioned. But it makes a reasonable reference.
Ruby Cookbook
By: Lucas Carlson & Leonard Richardson
Which has 23 chapters and around 823 pages.

I browsed the book on the web at:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ANP-fUv3WTYC&dq="ruby+cookbook"&pg=PP1&ots=FSKydVMJvS&sig=7bmMXKRHnNQRlexm-Srsll-z-TY&hl=en&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3D%22Ruby%2BCookbook%22%26btnG%3DSearch&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail#PPR17,M1

I just purchased the new book by Flannagan and Matz for reference. It is
actually a very nice book, which, of course is for documenting the Ruby
language. Therefore you will not find networking there.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Victor

@Victor R.,

May be we can start a book on wikibooks see
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page) if you like the idea we can
start instantly. You can contact me on amrkamel (AT) gmail (DOT) com.

Best regards,

Amr M. Kamel.