Dispatch.fcgi h-e-double hockey sticks

Hello Everyone ~

Last week I started having a dispatch.fcgi process go out of control on
my
Linux server. If I don’t catch it the process will eat my RAM, and
devour
my swap file until the machine becomes non-responsive. I am running
Lighttpd and have not had any issues until lately.

The logs are not telling me anything useful, and as a quick fix I am
running
the site using Mongrel, which I am very impressed with! I would however
like to use Light, as I also have some PHP sites on the box as well.

Any help or pointers on how to debug this issue are greatly appreciated!

Thx,

Ben

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 16:37 -0600, Ben R. wrote:

Hello Everyone ~

The logs are not telling me anything useful, and as a quick fix I am
running the site using Mongrel, which I am very impressed with! I
would however like to use Light, as I also have some PHP sites on the
box as well.

Best bet in this case is to continue running mongrel and lighty, but put
pen or balance between them so that you get around lighty’s broken
mod_proxy balancing. It’d look something like this:

{interwebs} --> [lighttpd] -> [balance] --> [mongrel1, mongrel2,
mongrel3, …]

There were several folks who said they did that or planned to do that
(DHH himself), but I didn’t get any definitive results in their stories.

Try it out and see how it works. Also use mongrel_cluster to manage the
mongrel servers.


Zed A. Shaw


http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs