Difference between reurn and "not return"

Why is this syntactically value

def x
return 1, 2
end

but this isn’t

def y
1, 2
end

def x
return 1, 2
end

Here, 1 and 2 are “arguments” to the return statement. It can handle
many of them perfectly well.

def y
1, 2
end

This is invalid syntax - Ruby has no comma operator (unlike, say, C),
and it simply doesn’t know what to do with this code. Commas are only
allowed (I hope I won’t miss anything) in multiple assignment, in
method/block argument list, and in “argument lists” of some language
constructs, like return, rescue or throw.

– Matma R.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Ralph S. [email protected]

So, wouldn’t a more consistent and more understandable way of doing things be

def x
return [1, 2]
end

def y